What's new

my handwriting looks like (1 Viewer)

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
crap.

i was writing on the back of some test samples today and i realized how hard it was to make nice looking letters and numbers. it looks like handwriting from a little kid that is just learning how to write, and i am printing, i can't even begin to imagine what my cursive looks like or even if i remember how to make all the letters. i guess now that i am out of school and use a computer to do most of my work, my handwriting will continue to decrease in legibility.

anybody else notice this?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the same boat...I can easily type faster then I can write now and the last time I had to actually write anything of any lenght it took me forever!

Todd K

Second Unit
Cursive is just about the most useless thing ever. My plain handwriting's not too bad, I've been at it ever since I was old enough to realize cursive didn't have any value. My name also has terrible letter combinations for cursive, so I've kind of developed a cursive-regular hybrid for signing things.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Ha. I just tried writing something in cursive for the heck of it (since I haven't tried in 15 yrs or so) and my hand pretty much cramped up.

Ditto, my signature is just a chicken scratch anymore.
I can print okay, but only if I think about it and put forth the effort, which is rare.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
A few years ago when I was getting my MBA, I had to do a couple of handwritten essays for a test. My hand was in such pain towards the end that I had to stop and shake it after every couple of sentences.

On the flip side, after being a look-at-the keyboard, hunt-and-peck typist for years, I recently realized that I can touch type now!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
lol, i just tried too. heck, my hand didn't get a chance to cramp up since i had to *stop and think* about how to write in cursive. sheesh!

my printing isn't too bad. i pretty much print everything anymore....that is when i'm not typing away like a madman. (i got 2nd place in my high-school typing contest. :D )

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
My writing is just plain terrible. You know what we should do? Everyone here should write out a sentence, take a picture of it, and put it up here on HTF for the world to see. That way, we could determine who has the worst writing on the forum! :)

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

since this thread deals with computers taking away handwriting skills maybe writing a sentence with the mouse, in mspaint or something, would be more appropiate?

now what sentence could we get everyone one to write so that we can compare? i would think it should included HTF references such as "silica", "mall of america", "the ted", etc

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Well, I'll embarrass myself and get the ball rolling.

It reads:
I was at The Mall of America to buy some silica. I ran into the Ted and we went for a beer with Ron P.

:D

This was using paint and the mouse by the way.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Wait until you have kids and need to be a role model for proper penmanship ! That really sucks... (though I have gotten neater when I concentrate on it).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
holy crap, i tried richard's paint test....it's so bad i don't even wanna post it. yikes....

[edit] thanks to richard for hosting my horrible handwriting. :rolleyes::D

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
It always happens that when I'm off school for sumemr vacation I always forget how to write properly, and have to retrain myself again in September. Anyways, here's that sentence in Paint:

And a scanned version of it in my own writing:

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Tried your sample myself Rich. First off, I can't remember for the life of me how to do a cursive capital I. So I had to improvise by drawing a really tall 'b' and left off the little hook thingy on the right side of it. Anyways, after many struggles and many more hand cramps,:angry: I decided to compare my work to some of my earlier compositions that my mom had saved from grade school. After some make shift hand-writing analysis, I've determined that my cursive now is roughly equevilant to what it was in the mid to late 3rd grade. My 5th grade cursive looks like professional calligraphy compared to my current chicken scratch. I'll see if I can get this scanned tonight and join in the embarrassment.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
lol, okay...if somebody who can upload my file (i'm at work) pm's me with their em -- i'll forward my test....

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

This reminds me of when I took the GMAT a few months ago. The actual essays were typed on the computer but before I could take the test, I had to write a statement that I would not cheat. This statement was a large paragraph and it HAD to be done in cursive. I just looked at the woman explaining it to me blankly for a moment before I remembered HOW to write in cursive. Such horror!

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I was about to say the exact same thing. I took the GMAT in January and had to write that paragraph that had to be done in cursive and it probably took me 10+ minutes to write it because I haven't written in cursive that much since about 6th grade (or whatever grade they stop making you do everything in cursive).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks