What's new

My hair is a junkie... (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Seriously.

For years my hair has had this interesting quality. The first time I use a new shampoo, it works quite well. The purported benefits on the label actually occur and I have a nice head of hair.

However, the second time, it doesn't work as well. And the third, even less. And after a wekk of using a product, it just basically does't do anything. I feel like my hair is an addict, building up a tolerance or something.

I remember in like 1993, I used PERT PLUS for the very first time. I can honestly remember how my hair felt- light weight, soft, and felt cool to the touch- almost slightly damp- all day long. I know it is silly, but I actually remember how it felt, and how I was touching my head all damn day because my hair had never felt so good.

But that went away, quickly. I've never had anything work as well since.

The major problem is: over the past few yesrs I have developed very dry skin. This is also true of my scalp- and I have, what I consider, to be horrible flakes. This is getting worse right now because of the dryness of the air in winter.

The issue is my junkie head. I cannot find a dry scalp or dandruff shampoo that works for more than one application. I have tried everything I could find: Denorex, Nyserol (sp?), Head and Shoulders, Teatrea Oil, Tar shampoo, etc. A few made a slight difference, but not for more than one application.

I thought it might be the salt content of my treated water drying out my skin (I have well water with a softener)- but I have tried staggering my hair washing to every other day, to see- and nothing has helped.

I know this isn't exactly the most "guy" question to ask this sometimes overly macho forum-- but wondered if anyone had ever seen anything like the Junkie hairdo I'm describing- hair that only allows shampoo to work once before it morphs and builds up a tolerance.

Any thoughts on good dandruff/ dry scalp shampoos? I am currently riding without health insurance or I'd just see a doctor about it. Any thoughts would be helpful!

-Vince

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Vince,

As a matter of fact, I may be able to offer a suggestion, but will have to wait until I get home to see the name of the product. Also, I know some big time hair stylists (you know, the ones that make $1million a year?) and next time I see them I can get their opinion on it. That won't be for a few months though. Boy, I never thought being in the production business would allow me to help someone out with their hair. Go figure!

Dan Hine

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
My armpits are junkies also....I can use a deodorant for about a week before it stops working, then I have to switch. I normally have about 5 different types of deodorant around the bathroom at any one time.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Vince,I have psoriasis so I know about the dry skin and flakes too well :frowning:
As far as shampoo,I have never been too picky,I just use whats cheap.I think right now I have some herbal VO5.
I need to get some more of the tar stuff,but what I do is use it once a week,mabey once every two weeks depending on how tolerant you get to it.
As far as soap,my dermatologist told me long ago to use nothing but Dove( I love the way it makes my skin feel,no film) so the past few years I have been using the dove sensitive skin(pink bar).It wont make the probelem go away but it will not make it worse either.I found that using cheaper soaps like dial or the store special make my skin way to dry and filmy.
You might want to get to a dermatoligst and see what they have to say.You might also consider going to a health food store and see if they can reccomend any type of homopathic meds.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Vince,

My wife is actually in the hair industry (now only part time) now and I can give you a few suggestions.

First, never (never) use Pert Plus, or Head and Shoulders (or others like them) for a dandruff problem. They have actual TAR as a major ingredient. The tar only makes the flakes stick to your scalp; it does not actually cure the problem. To cure the problem, you need an actual medicated shampoo that professionals use.

Go to a nice salon and ask around. They will be able to give you good recommendations.

They only grocery-store bought shampoo she can recommend is Suave. It's just a no frills shampoo that cleans well. Other than that, try to find a beauty supply store. Many will sell to the public, and prices are better than any salon.

Jared

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Hmmmm, this is strange. Although I have never had a problem with shampoos, dry skin/scalp and the like I DO have a problem with hair gel. I'm always changing the brand of gel I use because after a while, say a few months or so, the "holding power" of that particular brand wears off. My latest bottle is I.C.E. GEL that costs about $25.00 for a 1 Kg(35.2 OZ) bottle. It works quite well now but I'm pretty sure that one day that won't be the case.

Thanks Jared for the tip on the Suave. Since I use generic - grocery store shampoos I'll try the Suave next for I have never used it.

Now, let me out of this thread!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Ok Vince,

American Crew makes a product called "Sport Scrub" that works to "cleanse the hair and scalp." I use gel a lot and after awhile i can feel it kinda cake on....i use this stuff and it refreshes the hair....it might work for your shampoo issue. Oh, and my flakes arent as bad now.....that may or may not be the sport scrub though.

Also, I really feel a difference in using Professional products vs the common brand. My favorites are American Crew (all their stuff) Matrix's Biolage line, and Alterna (though Alterna can get REALLY EXPENSIVE!). Enjoy!

Dan Hine

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Or be like me and use lots of gel. That way no one will notice anything but your "unique" hair style.

Or course I flake after I burn the living hell out of my scalp with bleach. You know the bleach that says leave in your hair for 30-45 minutes? Well, I use it once for 1.5 hours and then rinse and repeat for another 1.5 hours. I like my hair practically white!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
add 2 packets of sweet&Low. that'll take the burn out of bleaching. That comes right from James "Spike" Marsters

Just another way Buffy makes life a little better

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks