My Grado SR-60's are extremely fatiguing...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Fisher, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I bought a pair of Grado SR-60's about a week ago, and I love the sound, but I can't stand them for longer than 20 minutes because my ears literally hurt (weird, isn't it?). Anybody have any suggestion for headphones in that price range that are more laid back?

I'm using my old pair of Sony's right now which don't do this to my ears.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've said this a number of times. I can't stand those things, despite how good they sound. That's why I went with Sennheisers.

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Thats what I just ordered John, some Senns HD-497, hopefully these will not make my ears bleed.

4. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

You guys just aren't man enough for Grado's.

Senn's are fine, if you like dark and distant imaging. I'll stick with my SR-80's and one day the SR-325's.

Seriously though, the Grado on-ear design just isn't comfortable for some people whereas the circumaural design of Sennheiser's are more comfortable.

But that Grado sound is so grand...

5. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Hmmm....I somehow find my SR60 sounding good AND comfortable.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    In 2ch, my setup sounds almost as if I am wearing headphones...
    Translation: I don't use headphones very often [​IMG].

8. Jeff_Hunt

Jeff_Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't Grado make some different earpads for the SR-60 and SR-80? I've heard they make them alot more comfortable, I've also heard you have to give the headband time to stretch a little.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Jeff Hunt
    I'm trying to make a living doing web design!
    http://www.jeffhunt.org

9. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Yes the pads differ greatly but the SR-60's come with the "comfy" ones.

When I bought my SR-80's I also got the replacement SR-60 type ear pads as many on the Headfi forum said they were much more comfortable.

The pads that come with the SR80 all the way up to the RS-1's are called the "bowl" pads and they are very irritating after about 20 minutes. The "comfy's" I can wear for a good hour or two before they get annoying.

I was new to headphones when I got the SR-80's so even the "comfy" pads hurt my ears after only a few minutes. But after a few days you get used to it and the irritation goes away.

So Paul, make sure you have the "comfy" pads (they are flat and sit on the ear rather than the "bowl" pads which are like a bowl shape and sit more on the edge of your ears. Give it a few days, if they still bother you then you may be a Sennheiser type of guy.

If I could afford to, I would own the Grado 325, RS-1 and Senn 600. Each one is best suited to certain uses and music genres. One big downside of the mid and upper Sennheiser models is that they virtually require a headphone amp to perform well. Grado's will benefit from one but their sensitivity is higher so they can be driven by wimpier sources like soundcards, portables, etc.

10. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

I think the SR60s are THE best buy in audio. For 60 bucks...good grief!

11. Michael S.

Michael S. Agent

Actually, you can pick up some Sennheiser HD-600s for about $220. In my opinion, -these- represent the best buy of the headphone world.

I upgraded to the 600 after using my SR-80s for about two years. I loved my Grados, but I did find them to be rather harsh. The Senns are wonderful: smooth and laid back, perfect for extended listening sessions. The only downside to the Senns: the thin cord is a bit cheap compared to the beefy Grado cable (luckily you can swap cords on the Senn).

Hope this helps!

Michael

12. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

The Senns are a different sound as you mentioned, and can't be run off a portable or computer (they need a higher gain). Great if at home, but tough at the office or on the road. Also, i feel the senns are huge on my head, but that's just my opinion [​IMG]

13. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i remember thinking the grados were too bright when i got them. either their sound has changed or i got used to it. it also depends on the track. sometimes the guitar is too screechy. i bet its similar to klipsch sound. i love the sr-60s though and still use them all the time.
    btw: i did a mod on mine to make em a lot more comfortable. the headband used to kind of hurt the top of my head after a while, so i put a piece of weather stripping type foam under the headband. maybe this part isnt uncomfortable for ya, but for me it made a big difference. i also bent the headband outward a bit so they didnt put too much pressure on my ears. now they sit really nicely and i can wear them for hours. only problem is my ears get too hot sometimes [​IMG]

14. Ralph Bru

Ralph Bru Stunt Coordinator

im way out of my leauge here but.....

I have been looking to upgrade my headphones as I never had a really nice set.

been looking at grados and senns, but everytime I hear a review both have + & -

now for years I have had a set of Koss td/70 digital headphones which in my opinion always felt lucky as they seem to be a really good set of headphones. but I have nothing else to compare to.

they can take everybit of volume my reciever puts out with little or no distortion and the base is incredible and feel like 2 subs on my ears, I mean the headphones literally shake and dont distort(im sure other would say they are distorting) but ,y point is and cant seem to take the dive as i dont think the pros will out weigh the cons from reviews I have read. plus I feel my headphones are quite comfortable for a whole movie!

after reading these posts and other reviews I think i will step away from buying some grados sr60 or 80's and stick with my set. sure the highs arent the greatest on my set but on certain dvd's they do come alive. EP II, T2 DTS, spiderman, the matrix.... while crimson tide and others sounds not so good, but not terrible or unlistenable.

anyone that can change my mind please tell me what I will gain thats worth the upgrade ??????

I paid $15 for these at service merchandise on sale (lol)
    YEARS AGO, and love that they are padded & enclosed and still as good as new, plus have a volume control. bass is real important to me!

15. Tim Reed

Tim Reed Extra

I have Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 ohm version. They are excellent. And they are sealed - - as opposed to Sennheiser 600's. They destroy the set of Stax SR Lambdas I have (from about 1985). I strongly recommend them. They are better than any speaker I have heard. (including my Paradigm 100's) Got them through Full Compass - - I think.