1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

My GR Research AV-2's Finished!!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Shawn Keeler, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

very nice work. How do you like the sound? Did you get them with Caps upgrade?

Welcome to the club.

3. Shawn Keeler

Did the Cap upgrade. I heard good things about the Cap upgrade, so it was a must. The sound very well. To tell you the truth, I haven't listened to them that much (about 30 minutes / busy weekend). I am going to give them a movie break in tonight before I leave for Vegas tomorrow. But I am completely happy so far!!!

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Shawn,

I have the AV-1s with the caps upgrade. It took about a 100 or so hours for the speakers to fully break in.

Happy listening.

5. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Nice work!!

Two questions...I see you didn't use Blackhole 5 in the box, using open cell foam instead. I am considering doing the same. Any reason for this decision?

Second, lots of duct tape on back of woofers (at least it looks that way in one of the pictures). Is this permanent or temporary to protect speaker from gluing? If permanent, why?...does it help the sound?

Again, great job...the AV-2s I auditioned sounded awesome and convinced me to get to the AV-3s.

6. Shawn Keeler

Mark,
    In that picture the speakers had not been mounted yet. The duct tape was used for covering up the mounting holes to protect the inside from routing out the laminate and sanding. The laminate router makes a huge mess that I didn't want to get in the inside. Less work with the vacuum. Thanks for the interest.
    Shawn Keeler

7. Michael.Hoffman

Good job, those look great.[​IMG] One quick question though, how exactly did you finish those? It looks like some sort of faux finish, but I can't really tell.

8. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Shawn, I just looked at your photos and enjoyed seeing your work - good job! I'm sure you'll enjoy the music and movie sounds.

9. Shawn Keeler

Michael,
    Sorry for the delayed response. The outside is actually laminate. I was going to do the whole thing in black laminate, but when when I was walking through Lowes one day they had that 4'x8' sheet on clearance for $15.00 since it had a damaged corner!!!! Bonus!!! Couldn't beat it, and gives them a little color. Also, the second question. I have other cabnits I am building with the Blackhole 5, but I wanted to go with foam and do a comparision between the two. So far I think the foam sound great, but I will let you know when I get the next set done.
    Shawn