What's new

My God..... ALIEN 4 (Resurrection?) BLEW! (1 Viewer)

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
ABC is showing ALIEN 4 tonight... I had forgotten how bad it was. That laughable ending with the "baby" alien... the special effects were bad too. Unless they can do a major rethinking.... I hope those rumors about a fifth are false.....

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Before you blame Most Perfect, Joss Whedon has publicly stated that this is not the film he wrote, and pretty much disowned it

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Personally, I loved Alien Resurrection - it's probably my favourite in the series. Each of the Alien films has a totally different style (in one of the cleverest ideas Hollywood has ever had), and it's not surprising that people will love one and hate another.
Resurrection needs, more than the others, to be seen on the big screen. IMHO it is a subtle film in the guise of an unsubtle film; or maybe it's a European movie disguised as a Hollywood blockbuster. Jeunet did brilliantly.
And what a fantastic supporting cast! Brad Dourif, Ron Perlman, Michael Wincott, Dan Hedaya, Dominique Pinon - and of course the lovely Winona Ryder. :)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that the film is rather unfairly maligned. Personally, I rather like Chris Cunningham's new Alien designs, and look forward to what he'll do when he eventually directs Neuromancer. Jeunet turned in his weakest film in my opinion, but thats only saying that its not as good as Delicatessen, so is hardly a big criticism. Overall, I think its weaknesses lie in trying to be too many things at once; both the intelligent, beatiful film that Lord Joss and Jeunet can normally be entrusted to deliver, and the big explosion action movie that the producers clearly wanted.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Well it was way better than Alien³.:eek:
And I could tell it was a Whedon script - some of those flashy lines - it has the spark that was totally missing from Alien³.
I think it comes down to how much you hate Aliens. Resurrection brings it back to the Aliens feel.
The ending is total pants, however, and both 3 and 4 shouldn't have been made.
Jeff, do you have a link to the original script that Whedon wrote?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Well it was way better than Alien³.
Well count me as one who feels Alien 3 is one of the best in the series. I loved it when I saw it in the theater and I love it now. Its a very depressive movie with heavy religious overtones (that were really but down) but it has tons of atmosphere and great performances (especially by Charles Dutton). I've never found the special effects to be very distracting (a common gripe with this particular installment) and I enjoy Fincher's dark style.

Much much better than four which started off really good and just fell completely apart at the end.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I also much prefer Alien3 over Alien: Rez, the ending to Rez is just so laughably bad... And I think the whole cloning idea sucks... Ripley died in Alien 3, period.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I enjoy Alien3 on it's own. It's a well-made movie. Alien:Res had one good scene - Ripley's clone walking into the room of failed clones. The set design was nice as well. But the script wasn't very good. The Joss Whedon lines, which are obvious and can mostly be picked out...mostly, smack of "look how cool this line is." I don't find him brilliant myself, and Alien:Res is certainly one of his weakest efforts. I unfortunately watched the last 40 minutes of Judge Dredd on cable. It makes Alien:Res look like Gone with the Wind.

Take care,

Chuck

TheoGB

Screenwriter
It makes Alien:Res look like Gone with the Wind.
Jeez, can't have made it look that bad.;)
I remember quite enjoying Judge Dredd in the cinema. Very little like the excellent strip, and with a slightly worrying lack of anything but white guys in it...but, yeah it managed to make me laugh and stuff.
Alien³ has a good middle. It starts off pretty weak I think because it just seems to be doing its best to eradicate everything about Aliens. This is good for the film but kind of feels a bit strange for a sequel to me. I think the ending is really lame - it's just ages and ages of them trying to kill the alien, which is just what we saw in the first movie.
Alien Resurrection is based on the most ludicrous of cloning ideas. In fact it's so utterly ridiculous that you can only ignore it and get on with watching the film. Yep, that bloddy 'newborn' is crappy but the film doesn't have the pretentions of the third, IMO.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Theo,
My view of Judge Dredd was a great British strip turned into a Vanity picture for Stallone. By making him a clone, they tried to explain his emotionless acting IN THE DAMN SCRIPT! Beyond that, it wasn't nearly as painful as most horrible movies I have seen, but you could almost see the studio suits and summer movie marketers on the edges of the screen - making up corny dialogue for Rob Schneider as the movie went along. Diane Lane looked quite nice though:D
Take care,
Chuck

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, count me in as another person who enjoyed "Judge Dredd". I've read a whole bunch of the comics, and yes, the movie wasn't true to them in some respects, but it was still an above average action flick.

As for "Alien: Resurrection", it was decent, but a let-down after the IMO very good "Alien 3". The ending didn't bother me, but there was a lack of originality and most of all a lack of a good script that made it the worst entry in the series. I'm still looking forward to a 5th one though!

/Mike

GARY C

Second Unit
It's a shame, really, because the first 20 minutes or so were promising.
That's my problem with the movie as well.

It was like

"Cool lot's of soldiers and guns and... whoops there all dead."

"At least Micheal Wincott is in it, should still be cool... whoops he's dead."

Some of the best stuff they had to work with was gone before it started. They could have had a large messy battle, but no one was left.

Between what they did do and what they could have done I just felt a little ripped off.

Well that's just my take on it.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
By making him a clone, they tried to explain his emotionless acting IN THE DAMN SCRIPT!
Judge Dredd is a clone. He and his twin brother Rico were cloned from the finest Judge at the time (I can't remember his name).
Rico was always better than Joe but he went bad and Joe turned him in. There's a JD story called 'The Return of Rico' where, after finally getting back from Titan, he goes after Joe and they have a shootout or something. It's kind of cool as it's the only time you get a hint of what Judge Dredd might look like under that bloody helmet! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks