My girlfriend is driving me crazy!!! Please help with tvs.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tim_Neil, Aug 26, 2002.

1. tim_Neil

tim_Neil Agent

My girlfriend is in the market to buy the cheapest tv that money can buy. (emphasis on cheap) I have been pricing and putting together my own home theatre and am trying to be her voice of reason. Unfortunately I am driving her crazy in the process.
    Here is the advice I need:
    She has a VERY VERY limited budget. She would like to buy a tv for around $200 dollars. She wants a tv that is 20" or more (unfortunately she doesn't care about picture quality/sound or really anything... I do!) My major concerns are quality and basically making sure the tv stands the test of time. I realize that the tv's in this range do not provide superiority (visually) but what brand and model is the lessor of all of the evil choices.
    Here are her current choices.... Should she change her mind?

Sanyo 27"
    Apex flatscreen 25"
    RCA 25"
    Orion 20"

Please help! I would greatly appreciate it.

2. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

i would have to go with the RCA seems to have reasonable quality . the one i bought 7 yrs. ago is still running strong ( paid 250.00 ) was the cheapest 25 incher i could find , i still use it as a monitor when dubbing btwn sources as my equip.is in another room.

3. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Should SHE change her mind? What good would our opinions do about that? Only she can decide to change her mind.
    Bear in mind that some people just aren't visually tuned in. Example: I knew if I bought a bigger PC monitor my girlfriend would gripe about the cost. So I bought a 17-inch version of my old 15-inch Sony, same make and model, and switched them, and she NEVER noticed the difference (I eventually confessed what I had done). Me on the other hand, once we were at a movie theater and I wanted to sit directly in line with the center of the screen as I usually do (I hate being off to the sides). She insists it makes no diffence, and believes I can't really tell the difference anyway. To test me, when I went to the snackbar she moved one seat over, thinking I'd never notice when I came back and sat down. I noticed right away. She couldn't believe it.

4. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Tim,
    Does "around $200" give you +-10% tolerance ($220?)... hopefully you can convince her of that... or just chip in the difference since you'll be spending some TV time at her place. Just looking at Yahoo Shopping, you can find 25" (even 27"!) sets for $200-220 (granted, you still have to pay for shipping). Also, the model #'s may be older models...seems that 24" and 27" are now size standards. I prefer going with 1st tier TV manufacturers (Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba) instead of 2nd tier companies like Apex, Sanyo, RCA (haven't heard of Orion). You may still find some of these models by hunting locally. Use the online prices as starting points for price negotiations.

Toshiba 27A41: $211
    2-line digital filter; component/composite/s-video

Sharp 25NM100: $220
    analog filter; component/composite/s-video

Panasonic CT25G6: $220
    2-line digital filter; composite
    - latest model G7 @Circuit City for $240

Philips TS2746c: $200
    analog filter; composite

I have two 13" Toshibas that I've never had a problem with (+2 years), a Sharp 13" came out of the box with hum (it went back for the Toshiba). The latest "replacement" buy has been a Panasonic 27" Tau flat screen with no problems. I've only seen the Apex DVD players, and build quality is a concern.

5. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

When my wife(girlfriend at time) was away at college, I bought her a 27 inch sanyo to improve over her 1980's toshiba that she was still using. It was like 179 at walmart. It was not a bad TV. It has s-video and everything. She was able to even hook up an old DVD player up to is so she could watch DVD's. I would deffinatly go with the 27 inch sanyo. BTW, we still have the tv and we use it in my office at home. I play video games on it sometimes.

6. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Offer to put in another $150-200 to get a better set like a flatscreen 27"+.
    Some have had good luck with the Apex models. But my preference is the Sony Wegas. I also have a Sanyo 27" with s-video in that has is still going well. But I highly recommend something w/ component in, 16:9 vertical squeeze and flat screen, especially for DVD viewing.
    The problem with TV's is that they rarely "break" but may degrade over time. So odds are that she will never get another set [​IMG]

7. tim_Neil

tim_Neil Agent

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will share some of your comments with her and let you know what she decides (I may chip in another $40.) Again... thanks.

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Maybe you could get a better used set as long as you know it was well taken care of. I'm looking to get a new HDTV soon and will be selling my 1.5year old sony 27" trinitron. Maybe you could find something like this. I was planning on asking between $250-300 for it.

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Whatever she does stay away from the RCA & GE sets they have the worst repair record of any sets on the market.
    Believe it or not Consumer Reports rates Sanyo as having one of the least repair problems if that's any help to you. But I would go with nothing less than a 27 inch tube.

10. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

If Jeff's Sony is the 27FS13 than that's a very good deal he's offering. I bought one for one of the kids bedrooms at a cost $550 + tax. Great picture and the 16:9 squeeze on anamorphic DVD is excellent thru the component.

If I was local I would be really tempted to replace my Sanyo with that Wega.

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    My set isn't a wega, just the standard trinitron. No squeeze except through service menu, but it will look better than just about any other non-flat analog tube out there.

12. tim_Neil

tim_Neil Agent

I'll mention this to my girlfriend and see what she thinks. The used route may be a pretty good option... I'll let all of you know what she decides... I can't tell you how helpful this thread has been to us!

13. Les Holt

Les Holt Agent

There's also another solution.

Get a new girlfriend with more money who appreciates HDTV.

14. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

lol[​IMG]
    Buy an open box from a chain and bring it back for a new one if it has a problem. If it doesn't, you got a great deal. Done. Shoot or just read up on HTT and steal her one... ooh.. that's bad, but no one will notice.

15. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

this thread gives a new meaning to the term "squeeze mode."
    single guy post: "i just got the latest overpriced thing. it is awesome! get one too! ok, gotta go play playstation."
    un-single guy post: "if my wife will let me, im hoping to get the 29" set. it goes in the den, where we have three playpens and two dog kennels and her mother lives. (not in a kennel) i have the playpens positioned to absorb side reflections from the mains, but my real problem is that my SVS sub keeps knocking my mother-in-law's teeth out of her head. so my wife is giving me a hard time, but she really likes the finish on our new speakers. P.S. if any of you single guys want to adopt me..."
    you could argue that the single dudes dont have love/sex/whatever but as far as i can tell, they dont need it with all the other cool stuff.
    [​IMG]

16. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Just get a wife that let's you get fun/cool stuff and enjoy it together. I have a very understanding wife and I have her support with my H/T hobby. She let's me build speakers and buy all the great stuff because she knows it's important to me and she supports that. Gotta love her.[​IMG]