My Ghost World DVD Review/Dan Clowes Interview

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianJacks, Jan 24, 2002.

1. BrianJacks

BrianJacks Auditioning

I apologize if this should not be in this particular forum. I hope I'm not demonstrating ignorance here.
    I just completed my review of the Ghost World DVD, so if anyone would be interested in reading it, they can visit it at:
    http://www.slushfactory.com/hollywoo.../012402-gw.php
    Also, tomorrow on the site (www.slushfactory.com) we're presenting our extensive interview with Daniel Clowes, the screenwriter for the film as well as the creator of the book that the movie was based on.
    I actually had to watch the film about three times in a row, which I haven't done since American Beauty. There was just a ton of stuff I didn't pick up on the first, or even the second time around. I plan to view it a couple more times this week as well.
    Anyone have any thoughts on the film? I'm tempted to ask if anyone picked up on more minute aspects of the story, but I don't want to give away any potential spoilers.
    -Brian
    ---------------
    The Slush Factory: Comic Book Magazine
    With columns by John Byrne, Dwayne McDuffie, and more. Visit us at http://www.slushfactory.com

2. Michael Dehaven

Michael Dehaven Stunt Coordinator

I watched this with my 18 year old son a few days ago and I was bored to tears. Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood for this particular kind of humor. I read your review and found nothing even remotely similar between this film and Rushmore. I found Rushmore to be a more fully realized universe. The Ghost World universe is stock full of cardboard cutout characters of stereotypical design. After the initial half hour of Ghost World I found myself really bored of the biting sarcasm and superiority of the girls attitudes. It didn't go anywhere and repeated itself ad infinitum. The Bus stop and the old man didn't work for me and to use that as the riding off into the sunset parable was weak and very unsatisfying

I applaud your stamina, I couldn't possibly imagine watching this one again.

3. BrianJacks

BrianJacks Auditioning

I'm not sure why you mentioned Rushmore. In my review I mentioned certain stylistic similarities between Ghost World and American Beauty.

Ghost World probably appeals to the X amount of population that can relate to the characters. I don't know whether you would include yourself in that category, but I readily admit I share similar world views with Enid (whether or not that's good better remains unsaid).

If you visit my site tomorrow and read our interview with Dan Clowes, you'll see that the characters of the two girls most closely relate to himself and Terry Zwigoff. So viewers of this film will probably divide among factions: those who like Dan, Terry, and myself can relate to the two teenagers, and those who simply cannot. The latter will obviously either not "get," or rather simply not enjoy the film. The former will identify various relatable themes and champion it as a blow against typical cinematic conformism.

-Brian

4. Michael Dehaven

Michael Dehaven Stunt Coordinator

My bad. Nice site by the way. I will return. I enjoy having and sharing varying viewpoints. I agree that Ghost World is similar to American Beauty in that they both know very little about the world around them. Both are filled with the most awful cliched characters. Thanx for a reply to my email. Michael