My Generation - Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan B, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

It's finally here & I've given it a brief listen.
    Disc One
    Some general notes:
    The overall fidelity is much improved over the previously released CD. There's more top & bottom end than before. There is noticeably less distortion in the drums, guitar & vocals.
    My Generation:
    Sounds fantastic but the missing guitar track is a bummer. (it is explained in the booklet & the mono version is included on disc two with the guitar track intact) This is the case with A Legal Matter also.
    Speaking of the booklet, it's 27 pages & includes some nice photos. On my packaging, Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere is mislabeled as Anyhow, Anywhere, Anyway. Apparently, this has been corrected already, so be sure to check yours before picking it up.
    I Can't Explain:
    Glorious. Great!
    Disc Two impressions later. Feel free to post your impressions here. BTW, the album was priced at $19.99 at Best Buy, which seems to be a bit cheaper than the other places I've seen.
    -Dan B.

2. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Paul,

I'm familiar with that topic, after all, I posted in it. However, I don't feel that I should have to post my impressions of the album in a thread with the word "horrible" in the title. It just doesn't apply to me. Fair enough?

-Dan B.

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

A couple of things I noticed after a quick listen to Disc Two:
    DISC TWO
    Anyway Anyhow Anywhere:
    This version has a different vocal & mix than the regular version. I don't like the vocals or the mix as much as the original.
    I Don't Mind:
    I like this extended version better than the original version. It seems strange that they took out what seems like the best part of the song on the original release.
    -Dan B.

5. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Since someone already started a thread:
    I'm sure that most, if not all, Who fans have been waiting a long time for this double CD Deluxe Edition of MY GENERATION. I went to the Worst Buys at lunchtime and bought my copy. It isn't in the ad, but it's on sale for $19.99. The regular price is $29.99. That may be the most important thing in this whole diatribe.
    I no longer have my LP, nor do I remember if it was stereo or mono. I never bought the original CD because I hadn't got around to it. I finally gave up on it when I knew that the catalog was going to be re-done. Therefore, I may be working a lot from a flawed memory here when comparing any of the songs to other recordings. I have the box set, but I wanted to get something written as soon as I could and don't feel like going down the basement to get it to compare any of the tracks.
    The short version is that I enjoyed listening to this and recommend it to all Who fans, even casual ones.
    For those of you who feel like reading, The first disk starts out with what was basically the original "The Who Sings My Generation" album, with the insertion of "I'm a Man", which was not on the American version of the LP, or at least not on the one I had. There's a nice jam in that song with the piano augmenting the band. In all, I found that whole part of this package to sound much thinner than I remember it. There was no mention of any lost vocal tracks, but it seems to me that there was less vocal harmony on "The Kids are Alright" here than what I remember hearing. However, I also found that I could hear the drum and bass parts better than I ever could, which made the whole thing more enjoyable.
    The missing guitar parts from "Legal Matter" and "My Generation" were explained in the booklet included in this package. What wasn't explained was why the horn in "Circles" is barely audible. Both the missing horn and the lack of explanation for it were inexcusable, especially with this being released two months after John's death, but were really the only blemish for me. Fortunately, I have an mp3 of a legit version of this song. Maybe not the best, but good enough for me. Out of all the Who fans in the world, I have to be the fan of John Entwistle's horn playing, but that's a whole story in itself.
    As far as the remaining tracks are concerned, any of the ones that had been previously been released were rendered more clearly here than on any recording that I had ever heard before. The new-to-us-USA-fans cuts were all interesting and fun to listen to. Let's face it, most of us who have heard bonus tracks know why they usually were left off the originals album, but these offer a side of the Who that we've not seen before. My favorite in the bunch is "Instant Party Mixture". This would be at home in any collection of frat rock tunes. The instrumental version of "My Generation" was also fun. Did any of you know that there is a drum solo at the end of this song? You can hear it really clear on this track.
    Like I said before, this is worth having.
    [​IMG]

6. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

Isn't there a sacd version of this coming out soon as well? If so, will it be hybrid?

7. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

I am loving this set. I just wish they could have included the guitar overdub on the stereo My Generation. It is very jarring to hear the song without it. Overall, though, this set is great and well worth the wait. Go buy it! [​IMG]

8. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

Brennan, I've heard that there will be a SACD release relatively soon. No specific details are available about it yet, though.

9. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Dan B-
    Of course. I should have said:
    for further reading: LINK.

I haven't received my copy yet so I'm hoping it doesn't turn out "horrible". I thought you might be interested in hearing the other opinion however, not realizing you already posted there:b.

I'd love to give my own opinion of course but I am hindered by the fact that I haven't received mine yet. I probably won't be too disappointed because I never really had a copy of the original nor am I a purist in any strict sense. I just want to get it all.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jack,

Why does your post have all sorts of odd characters?

Do other people see strange characters in Jack's post?

Brennan,

My Generation is supposed to be coming out SACD. It is mentioned on Shel Talmy's web site. As it is not coming from Sony, it will be a hybrid release.

12. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Do other people see strange characters in Jack's post?

13. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Hmmmmm...... I didn't look at the post after I posted it. I typed it in Word and pasted it here and at three other forums. Since I knew what I wrote, I didn't bother to read it. the only thing I knew about was the smiley I tried to insert after the sentence about the drum solo at at the end of "My Generation.".
    OK, I checked this out at www.stevehoffman.tv and Home Theater Talk. the post st the Hoffman site is ok. The one at Home Theater Talk looks just like this one.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jack, O.K. So, I am not crazy. At least not in this instance. [​IMG]

15. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Listening to key songs on this album,

My Generation, Kids are alright

They sound like different takes of the song, not the same take as the mono. The vocals are not the same in different spots. Could that explain the lack of guitar solo? Maybe its a different take altogether?

The vocals of Kids are alright is also not the same oas the mono, could this be also a different take?

Does anyone else hear the difference?

16. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Anthony,

The missing guitar parts on "My Generation" and possibly the missing vocals that you mention on "The Kids are Alright" were overdubbed on the original mono releases and, IIRC, have been lost and, therefore, were not available for the remaster.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I'm pretty sure that the new "The Kids Are Alright" stereo mix does not use an alternate vocal. There are something like an extra 11 bars of instrumental track before the reprise of the first verse compared to the familar short version, though.

There was some trickery applied to some of the vocals in the new mixes to make them sound double tracked or at least "echoed", but I don't remember noticing this on "The Kids Are Alright". I'll have to give it a re-listen.

Regards,

18. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Just listen to the way Daltrey sings certain words on both cuts, the inflections seem different on some words, especially on My Generation. I'll have to go back to it again to tell you which parts. I know that the Ivy League handled the harmonies on some of those songs.