What's new

MY FUTURE HOME THEATER... need ur expertise (1 Viewer)

Dustin_A_S

Auditioning
Hey all, this is my FIRST post (new to HTF). I would like some advise and feedback on my future home theater set-up. Ok this will be in a mostly dark room, (light controlled room). its 16' X 18'. I plan to go with the NEC HT410 or 510 DLP 16:9 front projector. It can create a big screen with a small throw distance. I want to get a manual pull down screen 58"H x 104"L x 119"D. The viewing distance is going to be about 11' from the screen. Do you think that this is a good set up for a big screen movie theater experience. Also I have a 650W 5.1 RCA HTIB, it still works spectacular. I dont plan to sound proof the room so I think that system would be just fine. PLEASE let me know what you think of my set up, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and comments.

THANKS, DUSTIN

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That screen size is WAY TOO BIG for an 11' seating distance. You will see SDE like crazy. Unless you like to sit in the first row at the movie theater. With non-HD projectors such as those, the rule of thumb is to sit back 2X the screen width from screen. That gives you a screen size of about 66". Can't you sit back farther from screen?

Dustin_A_S

Auditioning
The truth is I love a big screen. I want to feel like im in the image not just watching it. 66" inches is just waaay to small. I can go the 18' route and still use the 119"D screen, I just need to sit a lil further back. Im thinking about maybe 15' away from the screen. Im kinda going for that in the upper middle rows of the movie theater. (stadium seating theaters). Thank you for your input tho. Truth is, when i look at some of these home theaters posted. Some of them look like the smallest thing in the room is the screen. Now i know that pics dont do these theaters justice its just I would have a wall to wall screen if I could like regal entertainment, aka Edwards Cinemas.

mylan

Screenwriter
What Jim is trying to tell you is that at that distance, with a non-HD projector, you are going to see the dreaded screen door effect or the actual pixel structure of the projector. The picture will be huge but just will not look good at all. If this is what you are after, proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks