My friend needs some help, but you have to hear the story.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kanwar Sandhu, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Kanwar Sandhu

A friend of mine bought speakers and a receiver a few days ago, and I think the speaker purchase was a terrible decision. He bought a Nuance "Think Big" system (no, I don't know either what the hell that is), and a HK AVR-120 receiver for CDN$2000. Now, I don't know much about the receiver, but I know the speakers are definitely not worth what he paid for them.

The dealer is standing behind the speakers, and insists that the Nuance speakers are worth what my friend paid for them. But, to make sure that my friend doesn't feel ripped off and that he doesn't go off telling everyone about how dissatisfied he is with the shop, the store is offering to buy any set of speakers (that cost just as much as the Nuance speakers), set them up at my friend's house, and let him keep whichever speakers he feels sound better.

Soooo, since I was the one that originally said that Nuance is bad, he's asked me to suggest speakers for his HT.

This is where you guys come in: could you suggest some speakers for a HT that, after tax, will cost between CDN$1200 and CDN$1300? I was thinking about a Paradigm system, but I don't know what the current prices are, so my suggestion would be worthless.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Boy, that link Dana provided sure shows a lot of controversy over these Nuance's.

Welcome to the HTF Dana!!

Kanwar:

What don't you like about them, are they built solid? Do the drivers and tweeters look good? and most importantly have you actually HEARD them?

It sounds like the dealer is offering a good warranty.

Why don't you guys go listen to them or let your friend bring them home and try them out? It sure sounds like your friend has nothing to lose!

4. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Since you are in Canada, I would suggest some Canadian brands such as PSB, Paradigm etc. Very good bang for the buck and at $1300 you could buy a very nice set of speakers.

As far Nuance is concerned stay away from these. Alot of people consider them the Canadian equivilant to Bose. The drivers and build quality are cheap and the sales tactics used to sell them are dishonest. It is not uncommon for them to be marked up so high that a dealer can take a $3000 pair of speakers and sell them "just for you today only" for $800 and still make a profit. If you read the link above I'm sure you'll see alot of negative reviews. What store did he buy the speakers?

Regards

KrisM