What's new

My friend insulted my Home Theater (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Yeah and it really pissed me off. I was on the PC playing Battlefield 1942 and he was watching a movie (X Men 2). It was during the middle of the day and since it was only about -5C I opened up my patio door to let a little air go through the apartment. The HT consists of a Denon 2802, Toshiba SD 5700 DVD player and Mirage speakers. (OM 10's up front, MC 2 center, OM R2 rears and BPS 150i sub) and a 32" Toshiba TV.

So anyway, I stop playing and come sit next to him and he says " I hate to inform you Mucka but I should have heard the sound of the motorbike in the background but I didn't". So he rewound the scene and continues to say "At home I can here this" (I think all he uses is his TV speakers, he doesnt' have 5.1) So I listen. He didn't have it very loud and I didn't notice. But yeah, between the patio door being open and all the traffic noise and the lack of volume I didn't hear this motorcycle either. So then he goes off about how my system must have holes in the frequencies (I never take him serious, he's a big Bose fan and he refuses to listen to my advice). I called his bluff but since he had "solid evidence" I just left it.

This morning I decided to check again. Going to the scene, I heard the motorbike no problem, yeah its way off in the distance but I had the patio door closed this time and had it turned up to my regular listening level. I'll be sitting him down when he comes over again to give him a little lesson. That no, my HT doesn't have holes. And yes, it might be harder to hear on mine vs your inaccurate mid-range loaded TV speakers.

The guys a bass freak. Because my apartment HT doesn't go as loud as his car stereo in his Jimmy (well d'uh) mine, he figures, must be garbage. He's always trying to find things wrong. I mean, the guy doesn't have a clue about many things HT, he's one of them J6P that figures he knows it all, and yet he's constantly nit picking at it. I have spent countless hours informing him of the Bose marketing way and he refuses to believe it. I have shown him webpages that tear Bose apart and this still isn't good enough. So I just leave it at that. As long as he thinks Bose is the best, we'll never ever be on the same page.

end rant :)

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I hear ya loud and clear. I have a friend who does hardwood flooring for some "upscale" customers. He insists that bose are better because his wealthy customers have them. I asked him for another reason and he said "because everyone knows bose is the best". Fortunately, my friend doesn't badmouth my stuff, we just don't agree on speakers. I know the type, though. All you can do is just shake your head because nothing you say will change your friend's mind.

kehi

Agent
All you can do is just shake your head because nothing you say will change your friend's mind

Unfortunately, he is right

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"Because my apartment HT doesn't go as loud as his car stereo in his Jimmy (well d'uh) mine, he figures, must be garbage."

Time to either upgrade or check your ego at the door. ;) The truth is, anytime anyone who has a "piece of garbage" system that does anything "better" than ours, we get nervous. :b Worry is not evidence of a problem. Worry IS a problem.
Just tell him, "Your system is evidently better than mine for listening to 'motorbike in the background' sounds. Anytime I want to hear one, I'll be over. And by the way, any time I want to hear noise loud enough to damage my hearing, we'll go for a ride in your Jimmy. In the meantime, I'll watch movies and listen to music here."

As far as Bose is concerned, why waste your time? If he's happy with his, let him be. Didn't your mama ever tell you not to argue with an idiot? :)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Personally, I think you should stab your friend in the neck. Who the hell does he think he is, making fun of your system? Where I come from, that's no different than talking smack about someone's momma! The next time he comes over, you turn your system up real loud, cut that punk's throat and yell "YEAH, CAN YOU HEAR THE MOTORCYCLE NOW, BEEYOTCH? WHOSE HOUSE? RUN'S HOUSE!"

Uhm... or you can just ignore him. :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Oh hell, just let it go. Next time he comes over give him some Schlitz beer. That way he can insult your beer.

terence

Supporting Actor
The guys a bass freak. Because my apartment HT doesn't go as loud as his car stereo in his Jimmy (well d'uh) mine, he figures, must be garbage.
Well....... since his hearing is probaly all shot to hell, that might be the cause of him not picking up the motorcycle in the background. This guy has nuts big as bowling balls to compare TV speakers to what you have my friend! Man, what a HATER! You have a nice system be proud! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Jamie=B

Auditioning
You know Does it really mater not every can afford the best looking or sounding but do the best with what you have. Dont let him watch it any more. As long as you wnjoy it whats it mater.. I bet my tahoe would eat his jimmy for lunch as far as loud goes..

John Royster

Screenwriter
Don't worry about it. You got your home theater for you, not to win friends and influence people. :) Let it go.

And a true friend doesn't rip on another friends stuff. A true friend is happy for his buddy for enjoying his hobby. Case in point...my buddy blows ridiculous amounts of money on fish. I don't see the point, but I'm happy for him because it gives him pleasure and I'll comment on how nice his fish tanks are.

I don't say "Well my goldfish is so much prettier".:D

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I am right there with you guys. A couple of guys at work are into HT but not to any extreme. One is Bose and the other Cambridge sound HTiB.

Though neither system fits my taste or preference it doesn't preclude me or them in sharing info, experiences and ideas. all it means to us is someone has invested more money and has a bigger system. When it comes time to watch movies its not a matter of my HT is better than yours it comes down to sharing a movie and spending some time amoungst friends.

Like a mastercard commercial
movie $19.99
HT system $10,000 (just a number)
Spending times with friends watching a movie on an HT system priceless.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
:D This thread is hilarious. Why even sweat it, man? You said yourself he's clueless about these things. After a while the only productive things you can do about it are to ignore him or to take a bat to him and tell him to never come back. I would select the former option myself.

Lots of audio laymen expect the surrounds and sub to run hot so that you can really hear the sounds loud in the background and have the bass overpower the scene. Well, HT enthusiasts know better, and if your repeated explanations don't help then let him be.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I feel your pain.

Once my twin brother came out to visit me. My wife still hates what he said that day!

I was running Energy Take 5's. I sure did love those little white speakers! They blended into the walls really well. It was the ultimate WAF system!

After listening to it for about 10 minutes, he told me that my system sounded THIN!!!!!!!

That started my upgrade frenzy......

That is why my wife hated those comments.

The next time we went to go and visit him, almost 2 years later. We listened to his system, that was much more expensive than mine and my wife had a good comment for him.

Where's the bass? You sure are missing the bottom end.

We had recently replaced our sub with two SVS 16/46 pc's!!!

Well, it worked. He has since upgraded his system. Now he has a SVS and is begging his wife to get another one.

What comes around, goes around.

Jeff

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Thanks for all the insight all. Its true, I just had to vent. I even showed him this thread and we had a good laugh.

Perhaps step 1 in the recovery process of a Bose fan :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

This may be a stupid question, but why didn't you just shut the door and replay the scene in question? It would have saved you a lot of typing! :)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
well, due to the amount of cold Canadian beers I had in my system at the time I actually didn't even think about that. And anyway, HTF needs stories like this once in a while....:D

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Why don't you ask your friend if he can take you to a movie theater that has bose speakers so you can listen to the "best", oops sorry no movie theater uses Bose speakers. Why don't you offer to buy his a set of tickets when the next concert comes in use bose speakers so you can listen to the "best" otherwise he buys, oops sorry but I guess you'll be saving a lot of money while he pays for everything. Why don't you guys go rent/buy a movie where the soundtrack was mixed on bose speakers so you can listen to the "best", oops sorry no serious pro would make such a stupid mistake I guess you'll have to stay home bored. Why don't you ask your friend to buy a music CD that you both can listen to mixed on bose speakers so you can listen to the "best", oops sorry guess the guys in the music industry know what the pro-sound reinforcement and movie mixers know, don't use bose. Why ask why when the answer is simply Bose don't meet minimal standards.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
haha, you're from Edmonton too ??? LoL, excellent. Those who don't know, Canadian beer is quite a bit more powerful than American water ... I mean beer :).

mmmmmmm, now I'm craving a bottle of Kokanee. Damn you!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like your "friend" has his P.H.D. (Playa Haters Degree? Oh Hell yeah!)

The Bitch Hater: "Yo man, fuck your fine-ass Home Theater".

The Look-Shooker: "I might have a 19" TV, but at least it sucks".

The Never-Ending 'Shooting Star': "Just because you have a widescreen you gotta be watching that bitch".

Appologies to the Insane Clown Posse.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks