My fisrt HT setup, if I can make my mind up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_Whiting, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Dave_Whiting

Dave_Whiting Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I was thinking of purchasing the following components
    Marantz sr4200 or
    Denon 1603 or
    Denon 1802 or
    Pioneer 810s
    and speakers:
    Wharfedale diamonds 8.3, 8.1 and center.
    or db dynamics polaris
    Probably none of you guys have heard of db dynamics as they are an Australian brand. Any way, what do you guys think. Also would it be alright to run the 8.3 speakers as large as I cant afford a sub. System will probably be used for 60% music 40% HT. Any suggestions will be awesome.
    [​IMG]

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Welcome Dave, to the forum.

If music is your taste then go with Marantz or Denon. Also I think, and this is purely from reading some Marantz reviews in S&V, that Denon's amplifiers have more 'juice' and meet their rated power quite well. So if you want to run the speakers full range I would be more confident with the Denon's performance than either the Marantz's or the Pio's.

Hope this helps.

My 2 cents.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Check the impedance rating of the Wharfedales. I think the Diamonds are 6 Ohm nominal impedance, which may or may not be an issue if you select the proper receiver.

-AM

4. Dave_Whiting

THanks, for the help. I don't think the 6 ohm's is too much of a worry, I am more worried about the wharfedale's low sensitivity.

Also would it be alright to run the 8.3 as LARGE??

Also I have heard the Marantz has a warmer sound than the denon.

5. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Hi Dave,
    Nice to see a fellow Kiwi on the board. I'm also in the market for a receiver, and have been looking at similar products to you.
    The Marantz 4200 is a good little amp from what I've seen, although the power rating is a little suss, although I believe from what I've read that the SR4200 and the Denon 1602 are probably fairly similar as far as power output goes. IMO this is not too big a deal anyway, unless the speakers are particularly inefficient.
    If you go for the Denon, I'd probably go for the 1802 or the new 1603 (Not in shops yet I don't think, but will be v. soon - they're in the country and getting corded for NZ use)
    Both are pretty similar, although the 1603 has a nice new remote which seems to be the most promising addition, as well as better bass management (Though your not running a sub it will be easier to match it in if you add one later)
    As for speakers, I'm probably not one to comment (I'm building mine + my sub) but the DB dynamics range have had favourable reviews, although I personally would like to hear them before making judgement.
    If possible, try and put together a system in a shop where you can try out the different amps with the speakers you are wanting. If you can convince them to give a home trial, even better!
    If you want to chat regarding this further + where to look for product in NZ, mail me at
    [email protected]
    Cheers
    Jonathan

6. Dave_Whiting

THanks Jonathan,

That all sounds very promising but, I just read on this forum that a new marantz lineup is expected. THis seems kinda weird as I thought DEnon and Marantz had merged into one company. What to do?

7. Harry Callaghan

Hi,
    I picked up a pair of Db dynamics Polaris 2 just recently and couldn't be happier.
    I auditioned them against some B&W 305's and Wharfedale 8.4's. Unfortunately did not have a chance to rate them against the 8.3's, but I can tell you that for me the Polaris sounded a lot fuller than the 305's and 8.4's. I've biwired them, and am absolutely stoked with their performance. And I got them for a measly NZ $840 ! I was previously running my fronts as small and letting my sub take the slack, but these Polaris are set to large and kick ass. Frequency down to 35hz which without a sub should produce good bass for you.
    If you get them make sure you have a reasonably sized room ![​IMG]

8. Harry Callaghan

Oh - and if you are still looking on the receiver front, hold off on the Denon 1802, or at least audition it against the Pioneer 811s or Yamaha 630 or higher. The 1802 is showing it's age now, and for similar dollars you can get better IMO.

9. Dave_Whiting

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the input. Did you audition the polaris 2 686F? I assume you have the 688f. Also could you tell me where you purchased them from. My room is not huge will that matter much??

Thanks

10. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

11. Zacha R

Zacha R Stunt Coordinator

I'm running a pair of 8.2s (which are, in essence, 8.3s without the big cabinet) from a 1601 as Large without any problem. I'd assume that the 1602/3 or 1802/3 could only work better.

12. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

In most other cases, i would recommend the 811S if were mainly interested in HT. The reason i won't this time is because the 811S has had many complaints about speakers rated at under 8ohm causing "overloads" at higher volumes. Because of this, i would go the safer route w/ the Denon or Marantz. If you like the 1802, you may want to look at the 1803, or find a dealer that has them both and has possibly discounted the 1802 because of the 1803's release.

The 811S is a great HT receiver with all the features you would need and solid actual power (i believe somewhere around 65 watts all channels driven full range), but it is somewhat lacking in 2ch music reproduction for some peoples taste (i've never noticed a problem, but i'm 90% ht, and i use the loudness feature when listening to music), and the obvious 6ohm overload issue applies directly to you.

Hope this helps.

13. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Dave:

Having spent quite a bit of time auditioning the Denon 1603 and 1803 this weekend, and comparing them to the Pioneer 811 (in addition to the Yamaha 630 mentioned in a previous post), I'd say that there really is no comparison. The Denon's are far ahead of the Pioneer in 2 areas which mean a great deal to me--build quality and 2-channel music performance. The 630 gives the Denon's a very good run for the money--I'd say the Denon's midrange is smoother and fuller, while the 630 has a heavier bottom end and a more precise high-end.

I demoed the receivers using a mix CD I've made, each track featuring a female vocalist. In my opinion, if a receiver can reproduce the female voice well in 2-channel stereo, it's a keeper. The Pioneer just wasn't up to the task. I'm betting though, based on all that has been written about it here and elsewhere, that it does a great job in 5 and 6-channel home theater.

-AM

14. Dave_Whiting

Thanks everyone. I am pretty set on the harman kardon avr 3500 as a receiver. I reccon it looks pretty cool[​IMG] and should have plenty of power. I am now considering db dyanmics speakers which are 90 dB/W/m and 6 ohms. I don't suppose any one could tell me what the effect of having different sensitivity ( of 2 dB/W/m) speakers for front, center and back.

15. Harry Callaghan

16. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

If you are dead set against running a sub, then I would certainly go for the HK over any other brands (except maybe for NAD) in that price range. Further up, I would add Rotel to the list.
    I'd stay away from DB Dynamics. They are "home theatre" speakers similar to Jensens and have frequency responses tailored to give "impact" (mid bass hump) and "smooth detail" (rolled off treble).
    Different speaker impedances and sensitivities don't have that much effect unless the difference is dramatic (>4 ohms or 10dB). The receivers allow you to alter the volume for each speaker for an even response (calibration).
    I'd also advise all Aussies and Kiwis on this forum to join the DVD Plaza to get some local opinion on pricing, models and brands available in our part of the world.

17. Harry Callaghan

18. Craig_Kg

True Harry, Dave will have to audition to decide for himself. It is just that the DB Dynamics have been developed intentionally with those characterstics which tend to make them lively and dynamic in a quick listen. They do work well without a sub for that reason but then need a decent multichannel output amp like the HK or NAD to drive them.

Are you still within the 30 day upgrade period? I'd be tempted to get some 305s or 8.4s and trial them for 14 days to see how they came across long term. It wouldn't cost you anything beyond the trial period.

19. Dave_Whiting

Hmmmm, interesting. Guys talking about dB dynamics are we all talking about the Polaris 2 range or the Vega range. The Polaris 2 range is supposed to be pretty decent for music and the Vega range is the main Home theater settup. Anyway I am considering the dB dynamics (polaris) as the 2 fronts (866F) are:
    92 dB/W/m nominal impedence 6 ohms.
    Where as the wharfedale 8.3 are
    86 dB/W/m.
    As I am probably buying a the H/K avr 3500 (55Wx2, 45Wx5) the higher sensitivity of the dB dynamics would make a fairly large difference. Am I right?? Of course I have to like the sound [​IMG]. Mind you the db dynamics are pretty huge.

20. Craig_Kg

Yep, the Wharfdales would take about 4 times as much power to reach the same volume levels.