What's new

My first Universal SACD (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I thought I'd get the ball rolling on reviewing Universal's entry into the SACD market.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the classic Getz/Gilberto album on SACD in Tower Records today.

The music: During the early 60s, bossa nova was something of a fashion in popular and jazz music. Taking the rhythms of Brazil and sanitising it for American audiences, bossa nova would later become used, abused, and parodied. In fact, the first track on this album, The Girl From Ipanema, is currently best known for its Muzak version, much to the chagrin of telephone callers on hold and elevator travelers everywhere.

One of the leading exporters of bossa nova was singer/guitarist/songwriter Jao Gilberto. Low-key, pleasant songs and a gentle approach to performance endeared him to audiences. Stan Getz, famous for his gorgeous tenor sax tone, is a perfect match for this collaboration.

The music is soft and gentle- usually not my kind of thing. Getz has a huge following, though, typically the same people who like Dave Brubeck.

This music may sound a bit corny to today's audiences, but it's very pleasant listening. Gilberto sings in Peruvian (I assume) and his wife also sings on a couple of tunes. The eight songs are supplemented by a two alternate versions originally issued on 45 rpm.

The sound: If you listen to Getz for his tone, then you owe to yourself to hear the SACD. This is the kind of thing high-res music was made for. Simply beautiful.

The guitar strings ring nice and clearly as well. The sparse arrangements of the songs allow one to take in all the details offered by the production.

The bad: It's not a hybrid.

If A Love Supreme sounds this good, I'll crap my pants.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
If A Love Supreme sounds this good, I'll crap my pants.
Where do we buy the Depends?! :laugh:
I can't wait for Love Supreme. Tower has finally updated the SACD selection but it sucks compared to the online retailers. I am seeing a lot of CCR discs in Atlanta, for instance.
Mike, you may also like the Bossa Nova pieces by Ana Caram and Badi Assad on Chesky.
:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mike, I about craped my panties when I read about singing in Peruvian!;) I'm sure many have sung under the influence of Peruvian but they speak Portuguese in Brazil. Brazil is by far the largest Portuguese speaking country on the globe.
Here's how Astrud Gilberto came to sing on the album. The night before recording was to begin, Jao had a sore throat and couldn't sing. Getz and the Gilbertos were in a hotel room and Astrud sang for him and he liked it. Jao was entirely against his wife singing but Getz insisted she come to the session as the singer. This is how her star was born.
I'm wanting to boycott nonhybrid SACD's but this is one of my favourite albums..... Best wishes!
P.S. The Gilberto's daughter, Bebel, is now a musican. I have her CD TANTO TEMPO. I'm a big fan of Brazilian and Argentian music.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, ironically, I picked up the Getz/Gilberto SACD at a Compact Disc World in New Jersey tonight for just $11.99. I haven't gotten to listen to it yet, but I can't wait to give it a whirl. I don't have the CD for comparison, but I love "The Girl From Impanema", and I couldn't pass up the SACD for $11.99. The same store had the CD for $14.99. :rolleyes:Do you have the CD for comparison?
I too am miffed that this one is a single-layer disc. Now I can't listen to it in the car on the way to work tomorrow. :frowning:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure many have sung under the influence of Peruvian but they speak Portuguese in Brazil. Brazil is by far the largest Portuguese speaking country on the globe.
Yeah, I know that, it was a total brain fart on my part. I'll leave the error in the post, though, because it looks funny.

Keith, I do have the CD. I didn't do a direct comparison, but I do feel that there is a significant improvement with the SACD.

NP: Neil Morse, It's Not Too Late

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed this disc on a few occasions, but I'm not real familiar. Is this stuff comparable in style and quality (playing and recording) to "Jazz Samba" and "Jazz Samba Encore", the only two Getz-related albums I've heard?

If so, I think I'd dig it! The "Jazz Samba" stuff is just wonderful.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
My observation:

Of all the Universal SACDs, the Getz/Gilberto is the one that appears to produce the most negative reactions about performance. There are a number of comments on this over on the asylum board. So, I'm glad to hear some positive things here.

I've only picked up the Muddy Waters & Ella/Louis SACDs so far and been happy with both.

I already own the remastered CD of Getz/Gilberto and have held off based on what I have read so far & from wanting to purchase new music instead. It is a great album.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
There are a number of comments on this over on the asylum board.
A forum made up of 90% anal-retentive weenies, and 10% truly knowledgable & courteous audio hobbyists. Very difficult to find objective opinions there; I just don't bother anymore.
Anyway........if you like Getz/Gilberto, you need to try Thievery Corporation! They are a big influence on this duo from Washington D.C. No, no hi-rez digital formats here--they're just on CD and vinyl (I have four of their albums so far).
This is a bio from their label's website (they OWN Eighteenth Street Lounge Music and a club in D.C. of the same name): http://eslmusic.com/artists/thievery.html
On their "Hi-Fi" page you can listen to entire songs of theirs & others on RealAudio: http://eslmusic.com/hifi/hifi.html
Incident at Gate 7 & Samba Tranquille are great songs to start with. And furthur down is Thunderball's "Scorpio Rising"--this is one of the best CDs I've bought the last two years.
Here is an album of bossa nova artists compiled by Thievery Corporation: http://www.popmatters.com/music/revi...vervehifi.html
LJ

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Lance,
Thanks for the TC recommendation. I know of their work but didn't know about the DC connection.

I can understand why anyone would give up on a particular board, like AudioAsylum. Having said that, there is a lot of valuable info and some decent folks over there as well.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Well, I listened to the Getz/Gilberto SACD tonight, and it is outstanding. I was familiar with the music going, but I love the sound quality. I don't know how anyone could complain about the sound quality on this SACD. It's a winner. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks