What's new

my first taste of the HD NCAA tourney (1 Viewer)

R

RossTerry

it was Texas/UNC-Asheville... granted it was only the #1vs#16 but i am a bit biased to Texas

The picture was nice but the dolby digital sound impressed me the most

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The only one I got in HD was the Purdue game. Luckily, I go to Purdue, so it was all good. :)

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny that I was watching the CBS HD channel and the announcer said "now we'll take you to the game you are scheduled to watch." It was not the Maryland game which was the local game. I yelled at the screen, then thought to try the Analog station and there it was. My perspective changed when I realized that the game of choice on the HD channel should indeed be the game broadcast in HD! (But I watched the Terps on analog, anyway - loyalty over HD in this case.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There were some non-HDTV covered games broadcast on the CBS HDTV feed. But whenever the games switched back to the ones that had HDTV cameras covering the games, those games were in glorious HDTV. Too bad I don't have a team to truly root for this season.

The HDTV feed is a bit different than the normal NTSC feed from CBS's coverage. It's easy to see this if you have picture in picture and have the HDTV feed on the main window, and then have a PIP window of the analog NTSC feed from CBS.

It was the same way with the coverage of the SuperBowl by ABC a few months ago, HDTV viewers didn't the exact same broadcast as those watching the NTSC feed.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Sorry you don't have a team to root for, Pat :frowning:

That was one hell of a Maryland game, Richard. I may be a Boilermaker at heart, but I've always been a fan of the Terps.

The Louisville game was coming through on my CBS-HD channel, but it was only in SD. I was so pissed! Still though, if only one game was in HD for me, I'm glad it was the Boilers over those LSU chumps. :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
In addition to the beautiful HD video on Friday, I really enjoyed how the local CBS affiliate handled the SD broadcasts on Thursday and Saturday. They used multiple subchannels to present all the different regional action, allowing me to switch between as many as four different games. It was strange seeing channels 62-2 through 62-5 come up for the first time on my tuner, but I was very pleased when I figured out what was going on. :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Thanks, Ross. Good game...depressing for me, but I'm glad you guys are moving on.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
There have been some great games, close finishes, and HDTV.

The remaining HD games are:

Friday, March 28: 2 games from San Antonio
Sunday, March 30: 1 game from San Antonio
Saturday, April 5: 2 semifinal games from New Orleans
Monday, April 7: The NCAA Championship Game

Aaron Whitaker

Stunt Coordinator
The only HD games we got in Louisville were the games in Birmingham. Still I enjoyed them. Although for some reason, I'm not that impressed with CBS HD. I like ABC's HD better and liked the Super Bowl better than the NCAA HD. Granted it was much better and so clean but in action shots and when the camera moved quickly, I saw a slight pixelization. Just in case you're wondering, my HD STB is sending out 1080i signal, so I don't know if that matters. I did like the fact that I could watch 2 games at the same time, one in HD and the other in analog. That was really cool.:emoji_thumbsup:

Daniel_BR

Grip
While watching some this weekend I saw part of the first Louisville game and the TX/Purudue game in high definition (I assume the other games were on too). It wasn't a perfect picture (I noticed the pixelization too), but it was still very impressive! Also, here in Cincinnati they showed the local games on analog and the HD games on digital.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I'm relatively new to watching HD and this is what I saw: Comparing HD to the NTSC, it looked like the HD had a little too much white. On NTSC the floor in Birmingham appeared a darker shade of blone and revealed more of the wood's brown grain, and the white jerseys had more detail in the shadows of the ripples and folds in the cloth.

Didn't people also have this complaint about the NFL playoffs?

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone in New York with Time Warner cable getting these games in HD? I saw the schedule Joe posted above and I'm watching the UCONN/Texas game and it's not in HD!!!

THIS IS FRUSTRATING:angry:

Anyone from the NYC are having the same unfortunate problem? Another question - does anyone in the area know if Time Warner is going to carry ESPN HD?

Pete

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I got the Michigan St./Maryland game in HD - and it was fantastic! I guess Time Warner in NY got their act together!!

Sports in HD is just awesome!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks