What's new

My first sub is done :) Well almost :p (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Finished my first DIY sonosub and got it into the house and fired up just under 2 hours ago. Man was I nervous when I first plugged it in. But all went well and it sounds great. Puts my old Paradigm PDR10 to shame. Only thing left to do is sew the sock and get it pulled on the sub. Oh and watch "The Haunting" and a bunch of other DVDs as soon as I get the time.
As a side note, I'm a college student and back at my parents place for the summer (couldn't get a better job in the city I was going to school in). So the sub is in their basement which has a really bad shape and is almost double the size of the room it will be in when I get back to school. It's pretty impressive in this room, so I'm curious to see if it becomes scary in the smaller room
It's a 260L Tempest tuned to 17hz with a 6" ID PVC pipe. Powered by a AVA250 that is attached to the side of the tube (mount turned out better than I expected, hopefully I'll have pictures soon). Used 18" sonotube (it's actually 18 3/4" ID and the outer diameter is 19") that with 6 1/4" legs stands 5'11" tall (I have a whole 1/2" on it
tongue.gif
. I have a foot of insulation at the top around the port (to prevent resonances in the 90-110hz range) and the rest is lined with a little over an 1" of polyfill. The driver is mounted dead center on the bottom and the port is mounted dead center on the top. The endcaps are 1.5" MDF with 1" inside the tube and 1/2" outside. The endcaps are also tied together with threaded rod which passes through the bottom endcap and attaches to the legs. Painted the endcaps a flat black and the fabric for the sock has a bunch of little textured squares.
I've taken a couple pictures of the construction (literally) that I will post as soon as I can (gonna be at least a week or two). Gotta wait until I get the sock sewed so I can get the finished pictures as well.
Finally, I don't know how some of you guys get yours built. Took me almost two weeks (mainly a couple of hours in the evening) with my dad's help and access to a table saw, drill press, tap and die set and setaline (sp?) torch in the garage (benefit of a dad who grew up on the farm and got to keep a bunch of the tools when it was sold). Hat's off to those who have succeeded with little more than a router, drill, skill saw and no help.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how people build them in a day or afternoon either. It takes me a while to build each one, but I think it's worth it to take your time, and do it right the first time (if possible, and within your expertise).
Congrats! And welcome to Club DIY Sub.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
No longer almost done. Now totally done. Just finished hot glueing the sock in place. Will hopefully have pictures up within a week.
Also, I had a ground loop problem that I've solved by cutting the ground prong off of a multiplug. This allowed me to set the sub's volume level and the crossover to where I wanted without the sub humming. Which resulted in a significant boost in output. Much more than I expected from the little amount more the volume dial was turned. It now more than impresses me in my parents room, so I'm sure it will be damn close to scary when I get back to Saskatoon with it. I'm a little concerned for the 1950's style windows it will be placed next to :p
I've watched "The Haunting" with it. Awefull movie, but chapter 10 made me jump when that 20hz signal came through. I was ear to ear grins afterwards. One of the people in my dad's office also gave him a cd with 100hz to 20hz in 10hz increments sine waves. My old PDR10 attenuated a bunch on the 30hz and was silent on the 20hz. The sonosub however belted out the 30hz, but the 20hz was a new experience for me. I could hardly hear it, but the room was shaking :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks