What's new

My first Sonotube sub is up and running (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Other than the finish, it is complete. I was able to wire it up yesterday for about 10 minutes and spin a few disks. The bass is very tight and fast and extremely powerful. My shirt sleeves were vibrating. The crossover is set at 40Hz and the amp at 1/3. At 1/2 the bass is way to powerful and my guts vibrate.
It is a 177L sealed enclosure with .75 MDF end caps inside with .75 plywood caps. I wanted plywood as I plan on using black stain for a matching woodgrain look to my Polks. I used two .50 all-thread rods inside locking the end caps together. I stuffed its guts with roughtly 60oz of poly-fill. I plan to add more and see what effects that might have.
All-n-all, I am very impressed with my first sonosub.
Thanks to all who helped me so much.
sonosub1.jpg

Peace Out~:D

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
At 1/2 the bass is way to powerful and my guts vibrate.
LOL, that cracked me up. Maybe you should name it "The Gut Buster". ;)
Glad things worked out, I followed your design/building thread. As a sub builder I knew no matter what design you decided on you'd definetly be impressed.
Congrats and welcome to the club,
-EJ

Cam S

Screenwriter
Ron, I'm really glad that sub worked out for you. I know you were having some difficulty getting the design and technical side of it all down, but ya came through with flying colors!
So what's on the horizon for your next project?? Dual Tempests :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That's probably why your had to set your XO point to around 40Hz. If you got rid of the bass boost, you could cross higher and have it level out the bass in a slightly wider range down low.

But if you're happy, you're happy!

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I have been trying really hard to hold off and just do an ib,but all theese tubes are making me jealous and I think my single svs looks lonely...might have to get busy

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
also, it looks like you have one of those monster Y caBLES (even though it is solid connector) so you can plug it into 2 channels, I didn't do that with mine (i have a PE 250w), perhaps mine is different, but I thought if you are running it "mono" you just plug it into the 1 "input"???

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Rodney, I made the box for my Plate amp and yes you are right, I had my Velo hooked up that way, habit. Can't hurt I suppose.
Amp1.jpg

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
Nice job Ron! I finished building my IB box yesterday and just have to build an amp box and mount it all up.

I, too, use a Y-cable to the amp, just cause I had the cable. At least I know where it is when I need it.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to cover the allthread on your flexirack?

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
nice job on the box!, I wish I could just buy something like that, evem made out of plastic would be fine.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
I remember Ron stating that he used that split loom tubing that most installers use to cover wires with.. Great idea I thought. I will definitely try it on mine when I build one. Nice work Ron..

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks guys!
Lee, Juan is correct. I used 3/4" split wire loom to cover the 3/4" all-thread. Works great.

Greg Olson

Auditioning
Ron,

What were your final dimensions on the new Sonosub! I think I would like to follow your design.

Greg

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Ron. Nice setup!! Love the amp box.
Rodney, give Kyle at Link Removed a shout. He might be able to hook you up with a nice one.
Good Luck

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Greg,
The Sonotube is exactly 36" in length by 20" in diameter. I have a single .75 MDF endcap on the inside at each end and then a .75 plywood exterior endcap. It is a sealed enclosure, no port.
I also have a few pics of the construction. If you want, I can email them to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks