What's new

My first setup. Some thanks. What next? (1 Viewer)

Hi guys!
Through some excellent advice I've just put together the start of my first HT. I want to thank all the excellent people on this forum that have helped me with deciding what to get! :D
My system so far is:
TV: Sony KV-32FS13
Reciever: H/K AVR-320
Speakers: JBL S-310II
Having spent the last 5 years listening to music/movies on my computer this is truly something else.
What I'm wondering now is what to buy next? I want to expand my speakers to a complete surround setup. However, I can't put down the cash all at once for the remaining parts so I'm thinking of buying the things over a period of time.
So, what part should I buy next? Center speaker, Sub or Rears?
Thanks in advance:
Viktor A Lundberg

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Center speaker is a definite must. The S Center can be had for around $150 at most on line dealers through shopping.yahoo.com. Then i would add surrounds, possible S26s, S36s, or S38s if you have the money. I would consider a sub last since your mains are fairly capable in the bass department. If you can wait/save long enough, so w/ something from SVS. IF not, a JBL PB-10 or 12 would make a good addition.
For good deals on JBL stuff, keep your eye on www.harmanaudio.com. They are the authorized outlet for overstocked, discontinued, and refurbished JBL, Infinity, and Harman Kardon gear. Their refurbished stuff even carries the full original manufacturer's warranty.
Since your adding pieces over time, don't try to rush to finish your system, but instead add quality components at each step. If you rush and try to put a whole system together on a shoestring budget, you'll start a continuous cycle of upgrades.

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
Of center, sub and surrounds, the one that will add the most of what you're currently missing is the sub.

Your mains are rated by JBL to go down to 37 hz. A good sub will take you down another octave...to 20 hz and below. A lot of the fun stuff....especially if you like action movies....may be missing from your current HT experience.

After the sub, I'd go for the surrounds as they create a more immersive sound field.

Least important is the center...unless you have people sitting all over your room. For the people that aren't sitting near the sweet spot, the center speaker will help keep the dialog sound like it's coming from your TV. Aside from that, if you don't have a center speaker, your receiver is redirecting the center channel information to your mains, so you're not missing anything.

So definitely look into getting a sub next...check out companies like SVS, Adire or Hsu....

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I agree with Doug as long as you/or your others can set in the sweet spot.

Sub~First,, Don't skimp here. Research them well. DIY-might be something to consider, or have it pre built in a flat kit by Acoustic Visions, or Rutledge Audio. Your dollar will go much father and performece will exceed big time what that dollar can buy in the store for the same.
On the other side SVS, HSU, & others are big performers for the dollar. Look into B-stock for big savings.

Surrounds~Second,,, Look for used also as a possiblity as many people upgrade their smaller JBL's fronts. Check~The for sale area here, Ebay, H/K outlet, J&R.com

Center~Last if the things that Doug mention apply.

Good luck and enjoy.
Geoff

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Viktor,

So, what part should I buy next? Center speaker, Sub or Rears?
I think your best bet right now will be to get sub, probably a SVS 25-31. But if you like movies as much as I do, The center should be aslo very important, the S center is selling around $140, and a couple of S36 for surrounds or S26.

Hope this helps,
Pablo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks