1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

my first setup (no pics, but read anyway)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Broeska, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

since everyone always posts about their new setups, i thought i should announce my new, and first, surround sound setup.
    i should start off by saying that early on in my demoing, i reallized what a huge part of my theater will be dedicated to music. in the beginning i had thought 80% movies, 20% music but really it's much closer to 50/50. so after a couple months of demoing speakers and receivers in my price range (always starting off demos with music in stereo) i finally decided on the marantz sr6200, monitor audio bronze 2's (mains), bronze centre, bronze 1's (surrounds), and a paradigm ps-1000 sub. but that's not all my friends, i also bought an nad 533 turntable. good lord, is it sweet. last night i listened to miles davis' greatest hits in both stereo and pl2 and what a treat that was.
    this speaker/receiver combo i found to be the most... uhhh... detailed of what i listened to. i found paradigm's monitor 3's to be a bit too boomy, the boston's i listened to just didn't quite cut it, same with the b&w's i listened to (although i've heard that if you really want good b&w's you've gotta PAY for them). in the end it was between the MA bronze's and the mirage frx-3's because of their detail and excellent sound stage. while close, the bronze's beat them out by a small margin and now i'm in music and movie heaven.
    i should also say, HUGE props go out to jay mitchosky for spending a good chunk of his day yesterday (4 - 5 hours) helping me setup. i certainly couldn't have done it on my own.
    once i get a better a/v rack for my equipment, i'll post pictures.
    ------------------
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit