My first SET amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Yogi, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Got my first SET amp. Its an ASL MGSI15DT bought over at Audiogon. 15W tetrode/5W triode both single ended. Still getting used the new sound. It certainly sounds different from my CJ MV-55. The highs are more rolled off and the bass is not that taut but ooooohhhh that midrange. The vocals sound chesty and full of life. I can hear the singers breathing almost like hearing their emotions. The amp has a minimal 4db NFB so my next step is to remove all feedback and see how it sounds.[​IMG]. Have ordered some Jupiter beeswax paper coupling caps for the next upgrade. Can't wait to open up the amp and start playing with my saudering iron. Just wanted to share my new found joy toy.

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Nice! I would be wary of removing the feedback, since that would probably mean 4db more distortion. You could try reducing power supply noise with bypass capacitors or better electrolytics, or putting in different tubes.

Of course I think the most interesting thing would be bi-amping using a bigger tube amp or solid-state for bass. I don't know about you, but lack of bass and treble clearness bothers me.

BTW, I participated in a A/B comparison last weekend between a 50 watt single ended amp (SS) and a 400+ watt Class AB one that's the same design as mine. Guess which was better. [​IMG]

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

There are bees on Jupiter? Maybe Ganymede. Glad you like it Yogi.

4. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Sounds nice, Yogi. If you venture onto AA looking for tips and advice..... keep in mind your saudering typo will be met with contempt and disdain. Soldering is the password to the tweaks board over there.

Good Luck, and enjoy the music.

Cheers,
    bok

5. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Sounds like a nice amp for the money Yogi. I'm hoping to go SET next year.

Enjoy!