What's new

My first RPTV. THX config just as good as avia or s/v? (1 Viewer)

Khary

Auditioning
I recently bought my first RPTV, the JVC iart AV-48WP30. Picture looks great but like a lot of people I like to tweak everything to be perfect. Is the THX setup as good as the avia or s/v setup dvds? I have my audio sounding the way I like so im more looking for the quality of the video.

Thanks

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
the THX setup lacks a lot of the things that make Avia so great. Just go out and get Avia block off some hours in your day and have it, in the end you will find the time well worth it.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The THX isn't nearly as comprehensive as AVIA, so I'd strongly recommend you go ahead and get a copy.

That being said, the THX is better than nothing and quite easy to do. Sometimes the mastering of an individual title varies a bit from the standard set by VE or AVIA, in which case using the THX feature if included on the disc will result in a better picture for that particular title.

I have my set adjusted per AVIA, but when I play a disc with the THX feature I always check it too. Usually the only deviation from the AVIA settings is a few clicks of the brightness adjustment.

Khary

Auditioning
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go out and get me a copy this week then.

Kelley_B
Just go out and get Avia block off some hours in your day
Its that in depth. That I'll need to take a couple hours out of my day and do it? Damn.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Its that in depth. That I'll need to take a couple hours out of my day and do it? Damn.
Actually, unless you are getting into the service menu and adjusting geometry and gray scale and such, the basic user adjustments (Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color, Tint)don't take more then a few minutes, once you have gone through the instructions and understand how to do it.

Some sets do allow additional user adjustments for convergence, and some are more elaborate then others.

My new Pioneer 533 has multi-point convergence (64 or 72 point, I don't recall which), and thats per screen mode, of which there are 5. That can easily eat up a couple hours.

That said, I consider it kind of fun to take a set who's out of the box picture is horrible, and making into a thing of beauty.

BL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks