My first receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pedro Diaz, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Ok... Im a newbie and Im about to buy my first receiver. Then I will have to save money to buy the speakers to match that amplifier.

Right now Im between a Harman Kardon AVR320 or the ONKYO TX-SR600 receiver.

Which one would be the best option?

Money is no problem between those receivers.

Thank you very much for your replies.

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Well, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Harman Kardon. It all depends, to a great extent, what you're going to use the receivers for most of the time(music/home theater) and which speakers you eventually mate the receiver which. The HK is, in my opinion, a warmer, more musical receiver. Both are pretty good choices though, although I'd consider others such as those offered by companies such as Outlaw, Marantz, and Denon.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    H/K.

4. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I third the H/K.

5. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I also agree on H/K,

But I think you should check also Marantz with the new line coming up next month, the X200 series are going to be very cheap. Maybe a SR6200.

6. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i was between those 2 as well, and i went for the h/k.
    $400 at Harman Audio

7. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Today I made a search and I have found my MARANTZ distributor. Its located 10 miles from my office [​IMG]
    Im going to call them for a quote.
    In the meantime, which MARANTZ receiver will be comparable to the HK AVR320 and the ONKYO SR600?
    How do you compare MARANTZ to HK or ONKYO?
    Thank you again.

8. Pablo Abularach

Pedro,

I think Marantz and Harman Kardon are in league of their own, not that the other brands are a bad choice, all brands make very good receivers,

I see ONKYO and DENON good because of options/price, they make great receivers, options that you wont find in receivers at the same price range in Marantz and H/K. But the sound they reproduce is kind of flat and to me a little bright, but this doesnt make them bad receivers, it a matter of liking and preferences.

I see Yamaha and Sony to be great receivers for movies, great prices, crossover of 90Hz (better for me than 100Hz which is very common in entry level recievers), and in sony variable bass management which can be very usefull.

Now I see marantz and H/k are the best brands for me, because of sound, not option or price. I like very much the warm sound that they reproduce. But as I said earlier this is a matter of liking and preferences.

And with

9. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I'd rank them: H/K, Marantz (close 1st and 2nd) then Onkyo (more distant third).

Onkyo's are great units, they just aren't as subtle as the H/K or Marantz receivers. However, the SR600 has a bit better bass extension and more detail on the high end c/w the H/K 320, according to my ears.

--AM

10. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Thank you very much. I have learned a lot with the information you provided.

Now, my decision is between the HK AVR320 and the MARANTZ SR6200.

I have both prices and they only have a a $20.00 USD difference.

I will compare both specifications to see which one would be the best.

Now I have another question.

Which speakers would be a perfect match with those amplifiers?

11. Pablo Abularach

Pedro,

There isnt a perfect match, as well as in receivers there isnt a perfect receiver. It is more what do you like more. I like very much JBL speacially the Studio series, which for me are one of the best speakers for the price range.

But there are a lot of good manufacturers, like Paradigm, Klipsch, Axiom, PBS, etc. Which can be a very good option for a little more $. But it is up to you, how much are you willing to spend on speakers, do you want a 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1. The primary use movies/music. Dimension of your room. If you are married, some poeple have to consult with his wife about color, size, etc. Try to be a little more detail so we can help you more.

Also start another thread in the speakers section, you might get a better response there.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

12. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Man, a year two years ago, it woulda been unanimous Onkyo. My how times (and amplifier technology) have changed!

13. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Pedro, these guys at the forum are great and know their stuff. As Pablo said, only you can decide, but I think you are on the right track. FYI- the HK320 is at jandr.com for 399.99, not bad for this machine. Check out the specs at harmanaudio Good-Luck!

14. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

If I personally had to choose between the Marantz 6200 and the H/K 320, I would choose the Marantz. I am just addicted to the Marantz sound...even though I own an H/K. Seems funny doesn't it...

15. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

There is no perfect match for a receiver but I can highly suggest mating the JBL S-Series with the H/K. The Studios are very neutral and transparent on my H/K's. Many people believe the Studios to be bright until they hear them on a neutral to warm receiver like the H/K. Just a suggestion...

16. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

I am glad I found this post, because this is exactly what I was looking for. I was leaning towards the Onkyo though. Anyway, now I am also trying to decide between the Marantz and the H/K. I have an old H/K(AR35) now that I like, but what are the main differences, if any, between the Marantz SR6200 and the H/K AVR320. I have all Paradigm surround speakers and sub, don't know any numbers off the top of my head, and will use the system for 95% movies, music is a far second. And also my biggest decision now maybe, what is the deal with buying online? I saw you can get the H/K and jandr.com, where could I get the Marantz? And how do I know which online places are a reputable dealer? I have heard that some places tamper with serial numbers and that you might not get any warranty with it. Thanks for the help.