What's new

My first real HD experience! (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
hadn't really experienced any HD DVD prior to this. none of the demos around where i live in stores have it setup properly. they all still play SD-DVD's. they say they need licenses for store to demo HD discs :rolleyes

aaanyway. so long story short, HTPC+XB360 USB HD DVD player=awesome.

i used Chronicles of Riddick as my 1st viewing experience. lemme give you some background:
1. i've seen CoR 2-3 times with friends in some of the best cinemas w/THX&the whole wazoo on huge screens.
2. i've borrowed the SD version of CoR and have seen it for quite a few times on the same system i'm using.

now, i hadn't done any upgrades since those experiences with CoR and i have the same exact HT, Denon AVR 884, 7.1 B&W DM300 series with B&W THX Dipoles and so on. i've had this rough setup for at least a few years now.

so let me tell you when i watched CoR in HD DVD, my jaws dropped. the reference quality video wasn't the thing that impressed me. i've seen plenty of great 1080p in my time. it was my ears that constantly told me that i had a huge upgrade :emoji_thumbsup:. the opening was soooooooooooooo crystal clear and smooth. i didn't even know my AVR could decode DD+ 1.5megabits!!! that was awesome! it was BETTER THAN the cinematic audio experience and much better than SD-DVD's "compressed" sound. i can't imagine how much better TrueHD is than this. it was like sonic heaven. i just couldn't believe how good my audio system was. it was like every SD-DVD's audio portion in my collection was just superceded. THIS is the way HT audio should be.

man o' man do i have the fever now! this is ROCK'N! i can't wait for hdmi1.3 AVR's that can handle all of the formats. this is truly revolutionary. it really reminds me of the audio from LD days =D.

have you all had this revelation? it was like all of your speakers FINALLY opened up and sounded like it does in the cinemas! oh my HT, this is awesome!

donmon

Grip
Real Name
Don Monteith
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have a Denon 5800 hooked up to my XBox 360 HD DVD player with M&K speakers. I recently put in Superman Returns and selected the HD sound track. Now, I do not have the HDMI or analog outs but I did set my receiver to 7.1 just to see if it made a difference. I found myself clapping during most of the movie. Especially, in the scene where he had to race back to save the city. It was really amazing!!!! I got that fever too and I am not looking for a cure!!:laugh:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Cool stuff. HD does bring the fun back into home theater. At least for me it has. You'll have many more nights of big grin inducement! (is that a word? :))

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yes :D:D. if you do an a/b comparison (one after another) between SD&HD, the diff. between the audio really rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks