My first post and I need your opinion.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roy H, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

First off I would like to say hello to all of you. My name is Roy and this is my first post in this forum. I have been reading some of the excellent threads here and I have no doubt this is the place where I need to ask for some advise.

I just purchased a Toshiba 50 inch RPTV (50A61) and I have only had it a week today. I am thinking I may have to return it and I would like to know what you think. The tv is for the most part perfect in every way (picture, sound) etc.

On the fifth day I was watching the olympics and all of a sudden the tv just shut off all by itself, no picture no sound. The strange thing is the tv still was powered up because the red power light was still on. We could not turn the tv on or off with the power button or the remote control after it shut down. I had to turn off the surge protector the tv is plugged into and then turn it back on to get the tv to work again. I felt like I was rebooting a computer.

It has not happened again since but it is bugging me as to why it happened at all. I decided to search on the web to see if others had the same thing happen with a Toshiba RPTV and sure enough I found quite a few who did. Some people had it happen with more than one Toshiba after they replaced what they thought was just a bad one.

I also noticed it is not just a problem with Toshibas or just RPTV's for that matter, other brands and many different sizes have had this problem. From what I could figure out from all the info I read was it could be a capacitor or even a power supply problem and Toshibas have been known for trouble with these parts.

What I would like to know is should I just have this one replaced with the same make and model? Or should I just return it and get a totally different RPTV all together?

Sorry for the long post, but this has me thinking way to much, and I can't enjoy the tv unless I know it is OK.

Any information and or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roy.

2. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

Welcome to the forum [​IMG]
    Since you just purchased it, it might not hurt to have a technician come out and give it a quick look. How long is the warranty on this set? I'm guessing at least a year or two. I think if it only happened once, and you don't see it again over a long period of time, it's probably nothing to worry about.
    I say wait it out for a while and see what happens. If it blows up on you in six months, that's what your warranty is for.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Roy: Please call the Toshiba service number and explain the problem. The person on the other end will send a local technician your way to look at the set. Since it's only a week or so since you purchased it, the store will replace the set for you. If that anomoly happened once, expect it to happen again. JB

4. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jay and Jack. Hey Jay I did not even know you responded to my post yet and I just responded to yours up top.[​IMG]
    Jack I gave Toshiba a couple of calls and spoke to two different people. The first said he never heard of a problem with the RPTV's shutting off like that and that I should just have BestBuy replace it because like you said it is so new. The second call was a women and she tried for about 10 minutes to find a local repair shop that could come over and take a look at it. She said she could not find one because I must live in a rural area with not many authorized Toshiba repair centers around me. That is when I told her how can that be I live about 10 miles from New York City and only 25 miles from lower Manhattan. She laughed and admitted that her computer was down. She said she could send a guy from the Bronx to come over and take a look at it, well lets just say I declined. Today I think I may have BestBuy finally ready to replace it and they say a new one will be here monday. We shall see, I will keep you guys posted.
    Roy.