What's new

My First New Season Casualty..What's yours? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Dropped from my DVR...

Runaway. I just don't have the patience for this show and could'nt take sitting thru the Kids issues. I like Donnie Wahlberg thou, but this show was more of a shame that Boomtown did not survive.

Close to Being Dropped Heroes.. Although I'm giving it a few more Weeks. I don't really care about any of these characters but the situation is interesting so I'm giving it a few more shows.

Jericho.. also may be just spinning it's wheels I'm thinking maybe one or 2 more weeks...

mylan

Screenwriter
Vanished, we watched one episode and really did not want to get caught up in another "twist of the week" show, although it is cool to see a show thats filmed in our city, Atlanta, for a change instead of L.A. but, nah..

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

That's why I tuned into Vanished initially, too, to see the Atlanta locations. But it's not filmed in Atlanta. The Pilot was filmed on location (and to set up establishing shots), but after that, no. I don't know if it's filmed in L.A. or Vancouver, but it's definitely not Atlanta.

And since Vanished was not a good show, the Atlanta setting wasn't enough to keep me watching. It just wasn't good.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
My first casualties are probably going to be "Brothers & Sisters" & "Shark" (although they'll each get a third hour).

With B&S, I can't get interested in the characters. Whiny rich people are just not compelling, unless they're targets of satire ("Arrested Development").

"Shark" is trying desperately to be a legal version of "House". While James Woods is good, his show is hampered by a dishrag supporting cast, and boring legal cases.

It's interesting that these two are actually among the highest-rated of the new fall shows.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jericho is perilously close to being cut...or at the very least recorded. Right now it's only saving grace is that the boyfriend apparently likes it. Definately going to record 30 Rock on Wednesday at 8 and watch at 10 after Lost. Then we'll decide who gets the 8 pm slot.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I take my TiVo season passes very seriously... ;)

Cut: Vanished, Brothers & Sisters

Close to Being Cut: Jericho, Heroes

You know it is an interesting TV season when "old school" TV dramas that aren't "serialized" feel unique in a lineup.

"Vanished" got the boot first. I watched the first episode of "Heroes" last night, but it didn't really grab me so much.

"Brother & Sisters" was horrible (and I like "thirtysomething"-type dramas).

I haven't watched "The Nine" yet, but we'll see...

"Jericho" is on the bubble. I really want to record "30 Rock." I haven't watched the second two episodes of "Jericho" yet, so if they don't pick up, that one might be off the schedule.

Of the new shows, "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" is the only one that is getting permanent placement on my TiVo Season Pass list.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm probalby going to have the Same season passes at the end I had at the Beginning of the season very soon, i.e. very little is moving me this season so...

Dr. Who
Battlestar Galactica
Bill Maher
Prison Break
The Dead Zone
The Shield
Siskel and Ebert
Star Trek (Enhanced)
Big Love
Rome

Of Course some are'nt currently on the air

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Dumped...

'Til Death - watched 1 ep, and that was more than enough!

Standoff - only watched until Veronica Mars returned, and not worth my time. Moonlighting, it's not!

On the bubble...

Runaway - taped and haven't seen the 2nd episode, which will decide whether I want to see anymore. The kids stuff just makes me want to throw things at the TV.

Help Me, Help You - if the 3rd ep manages to annoy me as much as the first 2, it's gone! What a waste of talent.

Vanished - not nearly as compelling as Angels & Demons (a book that I'm currently reading, and want more of, than this show)

Six Degrees - Not a bad show, but so far, it hasn't proven to be worth my time at home. May just keep up on abc.com

Men In Trees - one of those shows I would watch if nothing else is on, and wouldn't be upset if it got cancelled.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

That's the Problem with Runaway it wants to be 24 and 7th Heaven. I cannot take the kids, maybe if they were portrayed more as real kids.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
So far all we've seen of Heroes is the two-hour pilot film, recut per network orders into two one-hour episodes. That means that what was written and shot as a six-act presentation with about 94 minutes of story, was shown in two four-act (plus teaser and tag) episodes with minutes cut for extra ads, and more time lost to opening and closing titles. No wonder people thought the "pacing" was off and found it odd that some characters weren't introduced until late in the second "episode".

Also no show should be judged solely on its pilot, even when it is presented properly. I'd suggest people give the show a couple of weeks starting with next week's episode.

Regards,

Joe

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Dumped:

Smith

On the Bubble:

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Definite Keepers:

Brothers & Sisters
Heroes
Justice
Men in Trees

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Re: Vanished
I'm furious with FOX for treating Gale Harold with no respect on Vanished. He is not the reason for the disappointing ratings -- it's the writing and pacing. Eddie Cibrian's smug mug is not going to improve the ratings. I expected to quit the show immediately after Harold's final episode, but I strangely need to see Kelton avenged. . . Either way, I don't expect the show to last too long after it's return in 2 weeks.

I've watched 2 eps of Jericho and am close to dropping it. Incredibly non-involving considering the premise.

Decided not to even watch the recorded "Kidnapped" eps since it's been cancelled.

I'm enjoying Smith a lot, but the ratings seem to indicate a speedy cancellation. :frowning:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Given the schedules on which TV shows are shot, it seems unlikely that Harold's character was killed off in response to ratings. The episode would probably have been shot long before the series debuted. Sounds more like a bit of stunt casting/programming, kiling a major character off early. This sort of thing goes back to Psycho and was also used on The Shield, where an apparent regular and major character was killed in the last moments of the pilot. (This also almost happened with the Hill Street Blues pilot, where Hill, Renko or both were supposed to die in the ambush. Preview audiences reacted so well to the pair that the producers decided to keep them both alive and changed the dialogue in the pilot's final scene so that Capt. Furillo was informed only that the two had been shot, but were both alive.)

Regards,

Joe

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Geez Kidnapped Been Cancelled already. I mean some of these show may truly suck but they don't even give them a chance. 2 shows is not enough time for a show to develop. How can they tell a show is gonna bomb that quick. Back in the Day classics like MASH and All in the Family did very poorly initially, by today's standard's we would of never had these shows. I think TV is creating it's own low ratings. At least Network TV, I think viewers are turned off to even try a show now knowing it'll be cancelled.

RickGr

Second Unit
Cancelled by me is VANISHED

In for long haul HEROES and Jericho. I really do not care that much about the characters in Jericho but the who, what, how and why of the back story is the reason i will stick with it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

A lot has changed since All in the Family. There are a ton more places for people to get their entertainment. Chances are if you don't grab them immediately, you don't get them at all.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Technically, "Kidnapped" hasn't been cancelled yet. Reportedly (thefutoncritic.com) NBC told the producers to wrap up the storyline after cutting back the order to a total of 13 episodes. NBC has stated that they'll air all 13, to allow the story to conclude (and not leaving the audience hanging, for once!), but it remains to be seen whether they'll air in the same slot or not. After the 13 eps air, it's being put on hiatus pending final determination as to whether it'll be dropped permanently or not.

So if you've been watching it and enjoying it, it might be a little early to abandon it. If NBC does stick to their word and air all 13, there should at least be a conclusion to this case. More like a mini-series than a cancelled series in that at least NBC gave them a chance to wrap up the main storyline.

As for my already-dropped series.... "Vanished," "Justice" (I think "Shark" is a similar premise and a better show, and Justice's camerawork makes me nauseous), "Runaway," "Jericho." I might give "Smith" another ep or two as I like Ray Liotta, but I'm not wild about the premise. (I wasn't crazy about "Thief" either and only watched it for Andre Braugher.) On the bubble: "Standoff." I like the cast, but the attempt to mix romantic comedy and intense hostage negotiation is definitely not working for me. Might be one of those things that I tape for later viewing if I happen to think about it, and if I don't, oh well.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Justice hasn't been scrapped. The ratings were up significantly in its last few airings and Fox has ordered more scripts. There is definitely interest in the show at Fox and I imagine they will be eagerly watching the ratings after the World Series.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I don't think anyone has suggested that "Justice" was scrapped. We're merely talking about what we've personally dropped from our viewing.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Desperate Housewives, Close to Home, and Nip/Tuck are out. Vanished was out but I'll recheck now that the male lead is gone. Also I think the lead female FBI agent is talent challenged and lacks charisma.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks