What's new

My first MLB game. (1 Viewer)

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
Sat. the 20th I am going to my first pro baseball game. Its going to be The Reds VS. The Mets. I can't wait. And the best part is I'm going with the person I love most, My Dad. This will be so much fun.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
...And the best part is I'm going with the person I love most, My Dad. This will be so much fun.
Yes it will, Mike! I had the same experience many years ago with my father. In all honesty, baseball was still THE sport in the USA at that time. Enjoy yourself (and eat plenty of food). For me, it's still a memory I recall to this day. :emoji_thumbsup:

KyleS

Screenwriter
Mike,

I also went to my first major league baseball game a long while back and it was with my father also. To this day I remember the game (Dodgers vs Oakland A's) Go, have fun, and eat lots of food.

KyleS

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Mike, I was going to go to that game also but I'm flying back to Japan on Saturday. Too bad the Reds were out of town while I was nearby (Louisville). Even their Triple A team, the Louisville Riverbats, were out of town so I didn't get a chance to see any baseball. Have fun. I love going to the ballpark.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I still remember my first game. May 31, 1997 O's vs. Indians. Mike Bordick and i think Robbie Alomar hit home runs. Can't remember who won though.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Enjoy the experience Mike. There is nothing quite like going to a Major League Baseball game. It is quite an experience.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Make sure to go extra early for batting practice.
My first game was a 3-hour road trip to Chicago for the Yanks/White Sox.
Guess that was 93 or 94. Got to see Mattingly before he retired. :emoji_thumbsup: Did that trip several years in a row before moving to Houston. Then I saw many Astros games though being in the dome was rather dull after the initial excitement of the place. Also roadtripped to Dallas for Yanks/Rangers (The Ballpark is terrific). And had the chance to go to Safeco last year for an A's/M's game just a week before the All-Star game hit town. Another great place to see a game.
The big one for me is next month...my first game at WRIGLEY! :) Finally after all these years. I'm also thinking of hitting Riverfront myself before they tear it down.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I'm also thinking of hitting Riverfront myself before they tear it down.
You're too late, Seth. Riverfront is dead. Long live Cinergy Field. ;)
Riverfront/Cinergy is a nicer environment with a hunk torn out of it. Plus, you get the added benefit of a team in a pennant race, and it's not the one from NY.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I still remember my first game. It was in 1967, Tigers vs. Red Sox at Tiger Stadium. The Tigers won by a single run (I think it was 3-2). I used to love going to the ballpark. Some years I would go to about a dozen games. Unfortunately, the sad state of the game in general and the local team in particular has resulted in me not attending a game since 1993. I don't know if I will ever go back.

Enjoy the game, Mike. Attending with your dad will make it extra special.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
See what happens when you live out of the country for 3+ years? Teams go and change their names. I liked the Riverbats better.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My company has season tickets for the Braves(12 in all), so I got some of the tix a few years ago, and invited some friends plus a dad of one of them. I'm pretty sure that'll be the last baseball game that my friend and his dad will attend together (due to the failing health of my friend's dad - I felt really bad because I didn't realize how hard the numerous steps would have on the dad due to his heart condition), but we made it to the seats, and enjoyed the game. I get goose bumps knowing I created a memory for one of my friends with their dad.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Cinergy was the first place my dad saw a baseball game...with me. I couldn't imagine waiting until your 50's to see a game.
Mark is quite right about Cinergy being a nicer environment with the gap, although I really think they could have done more with the "Black Monster" in the outfield. Be sure you pay attention to the lightboard; the Mr. Red Race and the Big Red Smokey are not to be missed. ;)
I live about four blocks from the stadium (well, the stadium-and-a-half), and it's by far the best deal in baseball. Despite the assured ticket price increases of the new stadium, I'm looking forward to Great American Ballpark. I've lived downtown since construction began, and it's been a blast watching the daily progress.
I'm all over the final demolition of Cinergy in October, too. I missed out on most of the great moments in that park since I either wasn't alive or wasn't living in Ohio at the time, so it won't be as bittersweet for me as it will for most.
Have fun! If you need parking tips, let me know. The meters downtown are still in effect on Saturdays. ;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well I look forward to the new park in Cincy. Having seen games in 2 of the new parks I can't express enough how much nicer it is. Safeco and The Ballpark are much nicer than the Astrodome was and actually also nicer than new Comiskey which feels a lot more like an older stadium.
I would love to catch many of the new ballparks actually. I'm considering roadies to Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Millwaukee at least. We'll see I guess.
And btw, speaking of retro parks. Here in Indy we have the first retro basketball gym (Conseco), which is very sweet. :) A good stadium makes a big difference IMO.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Pittsburgh's PNC Park is nice, although it is awfully similar to a lot of the newer parks (Jacobs Field, etc.). Saw the Opening Day game there and enjoyed seeing the Reds whip up on the Pirates.

If you can, get to Dodgers Stadium. Great atmosphere.

And Conseco Fieldhouse is a nice place to see a basketball game, even if my tickets for the Dayton-Purdue contest were in the rafters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks