My first massage ever and I feel crappy

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Zen Butler, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    [I mean I've had the low-budge g/f & b/f type massages but this was my first by a liscensed masseur.]

It was the first of a series of kneck and back deep-tissue massages. I feel very nauseous, congested, sore and light-headed. Is this normal?

The girl, who's my masseur, said that I may feel "strange" after(including the next day), something about "toxins being released." Sounds a bit New-Agey to me. What are your experiences? Do they eventually help with pain?

(Please keep this appropriate. I'd like to see replies, instead of a lame padlock.)

2. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

She isn't joking about the toxins. If it was a true deep tissue massage, make sure and drink alot of water. If you don't you will find out what sick really is. I would say drink 64oz of water to make sure. That is what I do after my massages and in a couple hours I feel relaxed and yes sore, but you will feel much better in a day or two...if the person knew what they were doing. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Interesting info, never heard that before about massages.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Neither have I.

5. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Massage, when properly done, is very good for you. Kind of like first aid to sore/shortened muscles. It won't keep them that way for long so stretching is your long term solution for it.

How the massage is done depends on the therapist. Some are horrible, some are decent and then there are the great ones. I have only once found a great therapist but several good. I won't go back if the therapist isn't at least good or it's the so-called swedish massage, in other words very light strokes that don't cause any pain. Yes, pain is good as long as you can keep yourself relaxed. Once you start to tighten your muscles it's time to tell the therapist to ease it up a little.

And yes, do drink a lot of water.

6. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    I always feel a little woozy after a professional massage, not to mention sore at least for the next day. From what I understand, the "toxins" that are released are primarily concentrated buildups of lactic acid which are then released to the rest of your body through the deep tissue massage. Like Brandon said, the best way to flush them out of your system is by drinking a ton of water for the rest of the day after a massage.

7. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

I bought my wife a massage and when she was ready to check it out they warned her not to get the deep-tissue massage on the first time. Usually those are targeted for athletes and weight trainers. Also, they told her it would hurt ... she got the regular massage and it still made her sore. I can't imagine what a deep-tissue would have done to her - I'd probably be divorced by now.

- Colton

8. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I used to date a licensed massage therapist. Lucky me! Any way, I used get extremely sore after his massages. Of course, maybe I had pissed him off and he was taking it out on me.

Recently, I've started getting massages again and was sore from the first few. Felt like I was run over by a truck. Never any nausea, lightheadedness. Just really sore. I think in my case. it's because my muscles are so tight to begin with. I mean really tight.

P.S. I think the whole "releasing toxins" thing is a bunch of hooey.

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

Sounds like "hooey." [​IMG]

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"P.S. I think the whole "releasing toxins" thing is a bunch of hooey."

I used to as well, until I noticed alot of spasming in areas Id injured after my G/F worked on them.

I remember after my knee surgery she worked on my knee for a few minutes and after holding down a pressure point for a few minutes, my lege actually shot up in the air, so violently and fast that it suprised me (and hurt like hell). I had no control of it, it just happened.

Theres different types of massage - the "swedish", accupressure,shiatsu,and so on.

A accupressure massage, which is usually deep tissue for injuries can cause alot of pain and make people very tired, dizzy, whatever afterwards.My G/F is a license therapist who works on peopel with back, neck and shoulder injuries (part time). She will often tell her patents to not move for 5 minutes when theyre done.

If Im really sore from the gym,Ill have her work on the sore spots and they usualy do feel and bit "looser" the next day.

11. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

My ex-wife was using these low-electric hand buzzers that was supposed to "release toxins". Not sure where it came from, but it was related to the "healing magnets". Anyhow, I held one of these buzzers for five minutes and the next morning I had these "bumps" on my feet. It was like walking on rocks! Very very painful! Sure enough - I was told that toxins usually release from your feet. I've never doubted it since.

- Colton

12. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Toxin release is not hooey.
    You should stretch and, as mentioned several times before, drink lots of boring water.

My wife worked for a chiropractor and she had to give massages before they saw the doc. The toxin/lactic acid thing is real. How can it be phoney/new agey if you are hurtin? Obviously something real happened.

13. andrew markworthy

These, um, 'low-electric hand buzzers' she used - what were they shaped like? [​IMG]

Okay, rapidly back on topic - an alternative explanation to the toxin release theory is that the widespread muscle and tendon tenderness you're feeling is being interpreted by the brain as akin to an infection and you're experiencing the brain's reaction to this, in the same way that e.g. flu or other illnesses can make you feel depressed or anxious.

My one experience of a 'normal' massage was of a platonic female friend who'd been reading up on massage and wanted someone to practise on. It certainly wasn't planned that way but half an hour later she'd ceased to be a platonic friend. This doesn't really have much bearing on this topic. I just like telling that tale. [​IMG]

14. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

An engaging massage, as far as your muscles are concerned, in not entirely unlike exercise. High-rep low-weight progressive resistance training exercise. And much like any newbie going to the gym, you feel like crap for the first few weeks, but every session feels less painful until, after a few weeks, the massages work wonderfully and you have no discomfort issues at all.

So unless your "massage artist" is an unskilled hack (which is shockingly common), keep at it, soon the soothing benefits will be well worth your temporary unpleasantries.[​IMG]

15. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

16. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

Didn't say it was hooey. I said it sounds like hooey. I even italicized because I really don't know.

17. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

Ah, the 'Happy Ending'. Larry David during an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm was quite surprised to be finished off during his massage!

18. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I always get my medical advice from a web site that sells massage equipment, patio furniture and luggage.

See, I can find info to support my side, too!
    Here and here.

"This is not to dispute that there are very real toxins that accumulate in the body, notably persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in fatty tissues and heavy metals in skeletal tissues. [7,8] However, these toxins are too chemically bound to their target tissues to be significantly liberated by the mechanical motions of massage. "

I don't care if they say the toxins comes out of my feet, ears, skin, or ass. I still say it's hooey. Give me some credible scientific data and I'm a believer. Otherwise, I don't care what Sven or Suzy, from the spa, claim.

19. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I love skepticism!

20. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter