My first internet scam....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael Varacin, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

As a single guy, I've been a user of internet personals on and off for the last several years. So far, everything has worked out great.

Until last night. I responded to an add, and several hours later I recieved an instant message and began talking to her. Several red flags went up right away. Then as soon as she mentioned she was in Africa with no scheduled return date, I new it was a scam. I kept going, and sure enough she said she wanted to come see me, and asked me to send money for her flight. She claims she's in Lagos, Nigeria.

I wanted to get her IP address, so I told her I had to leave and to send me an e-mail with all the info. She did, and it appears her IP address is in New York.

The "originating-IP" listing on the e-mail must be the address it was sent from, right??

So how can I get this person in trouble?

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I don't know, but good job figuring out where her IP came from. Unfortunately, it's probably from an internet cafe or some other hard to track IP, unlikely he/she would use a home account to run scams.

I found this, maybe a place to start:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Reporting-...Scams&id=41386

3. Michael Varacin

Joe,

Thanks for the link. I'll submit something to them. I did just get off the phone with the local FBI branch. They're not interested in pursing anything.

Frustrating, but I guess it's good they are looking after bigger things, huh?

No wonder these people get away with this.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Why does it seem that 90% of internet scams come out of Nigeria? Is that their main export?

I feel sorry for anyone who is trying to run a legitimate business out of Nigeria. [​IMG]

5. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

You should have asked her to send you all her banking information so that you could transfer the funds [​IMG]

Mort

6. Michael Varacin

She knows I work in a field with the Military. (I develop less lethal weapons.) I suggest that since I've never been to Africa, I will fly there to see her instead. I will use my contacts in the FBI to arrange my flight.

We'll see how he / she responds.

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

8. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

You have to keep stringing her(?) along and report back to us. Try to figure out some way of getting money from her!

9. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Blu's dating scam thread is both fun for reading and offers a lot of suggestions on how to screw with these scammers.

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Intresting. Personally, I'm developing a car with concrete blocks for wheels that doesn't drive anywhere.... But you're getting paid for it?! [​IMG]

I keed I keed! When they send you one of those weapons that spray a liquid on the ground that is so slippery it makes cars fall over, send me one for additional "testing"

11. Michael Varacin

I would have been nice to screw with this person a little, but I guess I just didn't think it was worth the time. I tried to get one of the pictures that was used in the add, but the add is no longer there. Imagine that. But for those who enjoy reading this sort of thing, here is how our last conversation went on yahoo messenger:

Her: hello michael
    Her: BUZZ!!!
    Me: Hello
    Her: how are you doing
    Me: So far, so good. You?
    Her: i got your mail and i was surprised at what you sent to me
    Me: how come?
    Her: you sent me a mail of reporting to the Fbi and military whatever
    Me: I never mentioned reporting anything. I said I can get them to pay for my trip overthere.
    Me: I know a lot of people in both the FBI and military...they always help cover my foreign trips.
    Her: well suit yourself
    Me: Don't you want me to come over there to meet you?
    Her: sure you could come over
    Me: When would be a good time?
    Her: anytime you want to
    Me: Cool. Let me check my schedule...I'll be out of town for other reasons the next couple of weekends...but it won't be too long before I can come.
    Me: But before I spend all the money to come over there, what do you think will happen between us?
    Her: what doyou want to happen we get to know each other better
    Me: yeah, I guess that's all I could ask for.
    Me: Is it difficult to run a business out of Nigeria?
    Her: well if you dont know much dignitaries you cant
    Me: Why not?
    Her: cus i dont know much people to do that for you
    Me: I see. I always thought it would be hard to run a business from there because that's where so many internet scams come from.
    Me:

12. Chris Monk

Chris Monk Extra

Tonight on Dataline they did a story about the Nigerian scammers. The reporter started replying to these guys to try and set up a face to face meeting with one of them. He finally got one to meet him at a hotel in Canada.

The scammer kept saying he was an ambassador and the reporter kept asking him for proof. Finally, the scammer said he left his proof in the cab. [​IMG] When he left to get his "proof", he ran away into the night. Pretty good report. These scammers will say and do just about anything to keep their victims on the hook.

13. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

14. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    They're not. Like the one mentioned in this thread, most of them come from inside the US.

Cees

15. Claudia P

Claudia P Stunt Coordinator

I read through Blu's thread about the Russian woman he was involved with a year ago. It really does make interesting reading.

A friend of mine met a Russian doctor through the internet about four years ago. He went to Russia to meet her, they got engaged, made wedding plans and completed all the necessary emigration/immigration formalities in their respective countries. The mountain of paperwork required to get her out of Russia to be with him was daunting. He made several trips to see her & over the years spent a truck load of money on airfares and on supporting her (voluntarily) & her family (he met the family too, so all legitimate). Btw, a young doctor in Russia does not earn very much (about US$50 per month) so the woman's claim in Blu's thread is accurate.

My friend flew to Russia to accompany his fiance the day she emigrated. The exit visa is indeed provided the day of departure and Russian citizens are at the mercy of the emigration officer they present to. In this case my friend's fiance was denied the exit visa on the day of departure. It was devastating news for both of them, particularly as all her documentation had been in order. They had spent all night travelling by train from her city to Moscow, had evidently talked through the night about their future together - then had their hopes dashed on arrival in Moscow. Can you imagine how they felt? No explanation was given, case closed. My friend had to depart on his flight and leave his fiance to make her way back to her home. The relationship ended some weeks later when it became evident the lady would never be able to leave Russia.

When I read Blu's thread I wondered if it was the same woman having another go...

16. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I just got a scam in my junk mail box from PayPal, talking about "irregular activities" popping up in my account, and asking me to log in and verify my information was correct.

Laughed and deleted it immediately. Why?

1. I have heard of "phishing" scams and knew bullshit when I read it.
    2. The unprofessional writing and typos were really, really pitiful.
    3. I don't HAVE a PayPal account.

The virus/worm attempt last week with the "capture of Osama bin Laden" was another howlingly funny moment.

So, the Nigerian scams are STILL coming out, in spite of all of the publicity about them being criminal scams?

I guess there are still plenty of people falling for it, since these criminals are still active. You'd think with all of the publicity, they would need to make it more convincing, since NO ONE is falling for it any more.

And it is a pity that the Nigerians are being used in this scheme, because people I know who ARE Nigerian are some of the nicest and most honest/honorable. And no, they don't ask me for money.

17. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

and what makes you sure it's a woman...

[​IMG]