My first htpc. First impressions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tim Knapp, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

I just set up my first htpc played "Fellowship of the ring" to a mitsubishi xd200 xga projector. My system, Asus p4g8x, 2.8ghz intel, 1 gig ram, sapphire radeon 9700, pioner dvd-120. Windvd 4.0

The results:
    While the picture was excellent coming from the computer, i found it not any better then the built in line doubler of the projector being fed by a standard nonprogressive dvd player . I was dissapointed. Although this projector rocks right out of the box with the latter configuration mentioned, i was really hoping an htpc would show a noticable improvement, after all the hype on this forum. It did not. Keep in mind, this is my first htpc and i have certainly not explored every possibilty yet. I am open to suggestions. I'm wondering if a lot of the hype was based on older, inferior projectors which benefited by htpc more then the newer models coming out now? I certainly could be missing something here.

Tim

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Did you use powerstrip to upres the image?

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

You doing DVI or VGA to the projector, and you're using dScaler and Powerstrip right? Details details! [​IMG]

4. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Investing all that money into 480p output is overkill. The advantage of HTPC for DVD is to upscale the picture to your projector's max resolution.

You should get a cheap capture card and use DScaler to upscale the image and Powerstrip to customize the output resolution. The Powerstrip trial version is free and DScaler is open source and free. As long as the capture card is Conexant/Brooktree based (which the Radeon is not), you will be able to use DScaler. I have also heard that DScaler offers limited support for Radeon cards.

You should also go to DVDIdle.com and get their software to by-pass Macrovision. The Radeon card won't upscale past 480p if the disc has copy protection.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The advantage of HTPC is also letting you use DVDSubber so you can watch the best versions of foreign films which may or may not include subs you understand [​IMG]

6. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    Can you guys provide some more detail on how this all works. I've been considering going the HTPC route. How would I go about playing a DVD on my PC and scaling it to higher resolutions?

7. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

Thanks for the input.

Upres the image with powerstrip? I set the desktop at 1024 x 768 (the projectors native resolution) before running windvd.
    Doesn't that accomplish the same thing? Is this not upscaling the movie at a higher res as a result?

Tim

8. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

I tried powerstrip and seemed to get the same results. Perhaps i'm not using it right. How does powerestrip do different what setting my desktop at my projectors native (1024 x 768) resolution does? What am i missing?

For Scott L,
    I'm sending a vga line from the pc to my projector.

9. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

Am i asking such a tough question here? Can someone please answer?