1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

My first HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnVB, Sep 27, 2002.

1. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Since I received so much help here, I thought I'd share what I ended up with for my new HT.

Receiver: Denon 3802
    Speakers: (L/R)Monitor Audio Silver 9, (C)Monitor Audio Silver Center 10, (surrounds)Monitor Audio Silver 5i

I also have the following from before
    HDTV: Samsung HCL552W (purchased last Nov)
    DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS700P (got this when I got my TV)
    mp3: Turtle Beach Audiotron

I was considering DIY speakers, but that was mostly for price. Since, I'm not really into wood-working and since I wanted mass-loadable speakers for stability, I thought maybe I'd better not this first time. We opted not to do in-ceiling surrounds - we can add them later if we want. This gives us more flexibility in speaker placement, which I think is good for our first HT.

The Monitor Audio's were all used as show room demos. We got them for 1/2 price or less. The Silver 9's are spec'd to go down to 30Hz, so I figured we could wait a bit to get the Sub until we had more ca$h.

We paid about $2400 for the receiver and speakers.

I'm quite pleased. The 5.1 sound is amazing on The Matrix, especially in the 360 degree pan around Neo at the top of the Gov't building.

- bones

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Very nice equipment.

I am moving this to HT Interiors/Construction.

3. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Hi Neil,

I'm confused. I'm probably just not getting it. How does my post relate to HT construction and interiors?

I would just like to understand.

- bones

4. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

John - Nicely done! And what bargain. Have you loaded the 9's and 5's yet? We had the same set up (except for the 12 center) a couple years ago, and found that it makes a dramatic improvement. We still have our Silver 5's, and they have approx. 35 lbs. of lead bird shot in each one. Recommend shot over sand, does a better job with less hassle. Also, it's a good idea to glue the little rubber cup into the hole on the 5's. We used a silicon sealant on the covers of both sets. Put a little bead around the speaker terminal cups too. The great staff at Monitor passed these suggestions on to us, both worthwhile. Toss the cheesy jumpers if you are not bi-wired, and replace with a short connection of quality wire... Next time you are listening to music (or a top sounding DVD), pop the little gold grills off of the tweeters and see what happens..
    Enjoy and best regards.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    John, since your post has nothing specifically to do with speakers, or the display, but more with the general setup of your entire HT, that is the reasoning for me moving to HT Construction/Interiors. If your intent is for the discussion to move to a certain area regarding your HT, I can move to another forum. Let me know.

6. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Hi Neil,

Just to explain: I put it in "Speakers and Subwoofers" because I received a lot of good advice there that helped me make my decision on the speakers. I thought people would appreciate knowing what I ended up chosing, and I thought that would be the best place to post it.

I'm just trying to understand, is a general HT setup considered to be a part of "architecture, design and decor", as described for the topic of the "HT Construction and Interiors" forum?

I'll let you move this thread or leave it here, wherever you feel is best. I'm just wanting to understand it's placement here so my future posts will go into the right place, and won't have to be moved.

- bones

7. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for all the good advice on the MA speakers.
    We have not had time to load them up yet. I understand that doing that will improve the bass response. I haven't opened up the back of my 5's yet to know what little cup you're talking about. I guess I'll find out soon enough.[​IMG]

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    John, thanks for the clarification. I am moving this back to speakers/subwoofers for you. I will also see if I can get a change for the descriptive text in the HT Interiors section to avoid any future confusion.

9. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

John,
    You're welcome. The 5's have a round rubber plug rather than a screw on door to seal the access hole on the back. Never trusted it, thus the silicon treatment. By "cups" I mean the plastic housing with the screw terminals for the wires. Use the silicon bead as a gasket. The idea is to make the speaker as airtight as possible. For jumpers, use the same wire that you used to hook up the speakers. If you are using pre-made sets, a good quality 12 ga. is fine. By all means keep the tweeter grills on when anyone besides you is in the room, 3 yrs. old or 33, people love to poke 'em. Remove from the 9's for serious late night music sessions when you're feeling all "audiophily". They pop on and off easily.
    When you get everything sparked up and had a chance to play, will you post or e-mail me your impressions? Be great to know how you like it.
    Best wishes - Mark

10. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator