My first HT system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Bye, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Jon Bye

Jon Bye Stunt Coordinator

Jon Bye
    Trying to decide if I should buy a HTIB for my first HT purchase. I have an RCA D52120 tv, a DSS receiver, Star Choice SAT receiver, a Toshiba SD3750 DVD and a gamecube with component cables.

I know that the Kenwood HTBs are recommended. What is the difference between the VR 509 in the HTB544 and the VR 507 in the HTB504.?

I can't seem to locate these HTB packages in Canada. Although I can pick up the VR 509 receiver for around $400($230US).( I would then need to get a speaker system

The only HTB that I can find in Canada right now is the HTB455 supposedly a new model.

With the possibility of getting an HD decoder in the future, I was thinking that component video switching would be good to have? The VR 509 has it, but I read somewhere that it does not do a very good job with it.

AS you can see I need some advice in trying to get a decent first HT system for as low a cost as possible.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

3. Jon Bye

Jon Bye Stunt Coordinator

Jon Bye
    Would it be better to get the HTB 504/05 or to get the Vr 509 and add a set of speakers like the JBL NSP1?

Thanks

4. Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jon,

I'M in montreal and i think I saw it at centre hi-fi. I also was looking for this set but finally bought the JVC thb-5 and i'm quite please with the result especially for the price, I bought it a futureshop for 439$Can. It's a bit limited for video input/output but anyway I prefer to connect my component directly to the tv.....I only use receiver swithching for simple video composite connection (VCR, Playstation) isn't your tv coming with a few component input. Keep in mind.....the more direct connection, the better. And most people who want to keep the best signal possible usually think the same.

Rob
    Mtl

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor