My First HT setup - JBL but which ones?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike_HT, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Mike_HT

Mike_HT Agent

First off want to say what a great forum. I have read so much over the past week I'm going crazy with ideas for my own HT. I was about to move into a new apartment but that now seems to be put on hold, but either way I'm going to make a few purchases next year.
    I am on a tight budget so I've decided on JBL. Now to my questioning. I will need to do this in steps so I will be making purchases every few months or whenever the money comes in. So any inputs are appreciated. My main concern is what to buy for my mains. I want to buy two fronts to start off, then later a s-center followed by S26 rears and finally a sub.
    Step 1:
    I'm cant decide between the following:
    JBL N38II - $139each
    JBL ND310II - $200each
    JBL S310II - $200each
    Also what disadvantage is there of getting two s26s on stands over the floor-standing models?
    Now remember that I will have the 2 mains by themselves for a few months so I was set on the ND310s but now I have read mixing series isnt a good idea since I'm planning on getting the S26s eventually???
    P.S. Thanks Phil for your site [​IMG] .... but damn geocities

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

3. Mike_HT

Mike_HT Agent

Sorry I fixed that in my post...I mean that I can only afford the 2 front speakers to begin with. A while later I will purchase the remaining speakers to complete my setup.

4. AndrewGault

AndrewGault Agent

Get 2 S38s. (Mains)
    Then S Center. (Center)
    Then 2 more S38s. (Surrounds)
    Then a good sub. (Depends on budget)

5. Mike_HT

Mike_HT Agent

The S38s are about 2 times as expensive as the 26s. Are they that much better?

6. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

For surrounds? No.
    Well.. they're awful large for surrounds. The S26 push the envelope for surrounds as well, but they're working for me. [​IMG]
    I have read good about the S38's, though (in comparison to S26). I have S26's all around with an S-Center. It's an excellent setup. The sound is huge. [powering with a Denon 1802 as well] Awesome theater playback! (just ask Phil! [​IMG] ).
    Also, when you go for a sub, be sure to look at the SV line of subwoofers. [​IMG]

7. AndrewGault

AndrewGault Agent

Ya if you need something cheaper go with 4 S26s and S Center.

8. Mike_HT

Mike_HT Agent

Thanks for all the responses guys. I see you all recommend the satellites over the floor standing models so I think I have come to a conclusion for now. Now I am going to have the two mains alone for a little while before I purchase the remaining pieces of my system so I will start by getting 2 S26s.
    Then I will buy the center and surrounds. I can either shift the s26s to the back and buy 2 38s or just purchase 2 more 26s if they suit me well. Then fast forward to the future and I'll have an SVS [​IMG]

9. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

I have S38 mains, they are excellent speakers, but they are HUGE for bookshelf speakers so it is kind of difficult to get stands for them. They are better for music listening compared to the S26, greater range, fuller sound. If music is not that important 4 S26 will be best.
    You might be a little bit disappointed with the S26 if you are going with mains only for a few months, they do not go low enough, so you will need to budget in a subwoofer with them. You can get away with S38 alone for a while as they produce some very nice bass. Of course if you are not watching/listening to a lot of bass heavy material then it won't matter. [​IMG]
    Try to audition all of the speakers before buying to make sure you like how they sound.

10. Mike_HT

Mike_HT Agent

Thanks James for the reply, I may just take that advice. I wouldn't listen to too much music. I usually do that while on my computer. (I've got the Altec Lansing 641s and love em) But bass is important. I'm just trying to start out with something cause I don't want to rely on my TV speakers.

I'll run down to Best Buy and try both of them out. Anyone know what kind of discounts you get there as an employee??

11. DarinY

DarinY Auditioning

Are you guys not recommending the floorstanding S310II's for mains then?

12. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Mike:

I think N38s or N310s (with N24s in the rear) would make a superb theater setup.

I have N38s/N24s in my theater setup and S38s in my music setup. I think the Northridge series is very sweet for theater (and solid for music as well).

13. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

S-series is better than the N-series hands down. Mike-HT if your budget minded and you want excellent sound go for the S26's. I bought my complete setup online for $500 (L-C-R&S). May even be cheaper for you since I live in Ohio and had to pay tax.

14. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter