My First Home Theater (Hopefully of many)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MarkInKC, May 17, 2005.

1. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

I don't consider myself a beginner, so forgive me if this is in the wrong Forum. I am starting construction of my basement, in which I plan on centering around my home theater. I haven't gotten any specific equipment purchsed, or in mind for that matter, but I wanted to ask a few preliminary questions first.

I have been looking into doing the entire electrical system in x10 (or another type of wireless controller) rather than having to go through learning curve with a system like ABUS. I am going to have basically four quadrants (Pool table, Theater, Bar, and Table) of the room I am looking to control and when I sit down to watch a movie, I want to be able to press a button and have the lights dim/turn off accoringly. For instance, if I want to watch a movie, but someone is playing pool, I want a button that is labeled - Theater with Pool, or if we're entertaining, and we need to leave the bar lights on a button thas says - Theater with Bar. You get the point.

My question is, I have read that x-10 is the cheap way to go, but can't really find anything that's comperable. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but I want it do what I want. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm going to post pictures of the floorplan and wiring diagrams soon, but any comments on projectors/recievers/speakers etc. would be great. I going to try and stay under $5000, for the equipment. Projector and Reciever being the bulk of it. I am going to set it up to be wired for basically 11.2 surround with speakers only on 7.1 of them. I'm babbling. Thanks for the help!

2. Tom Kay

Tom Kay Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mark:

I'll try to help on this one. I haven't yet installed any remote control for lights, but I've done a bunch of reading.

I plan to use X10 as well. I know there are others, but the X10 seems inexpensive and flexible. There are potential problems, like interference and easy burn-out problems with surges, but with a voltage surge protector, the various signal amplifiers and filters that I think you can get for the system, and even the extended warranty, I'll take my chances on X10.

The main reason I want X10, besides price, is I think you can have more scenes than, say, Lutron Spacer system. If I'm wrong, then please let me know. This would work out well for you, since you could hit a button that is marked "Movie and Pool Table" and it'll give you what you want. And you'd have lots of other scenes left over. If my memory is correct, Lutron Spacer gives you 4 or 6 scenes, again, don't quote me.

At some point in the next year, I'll get the X10 products, but the 2386 switchlinc from Smarthome dot com seems to be the one I'll need. Plus the transmitter and a few other start-up items.

Hope this helps a tad. Tom.

3. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

Thanks Tad! Like I said I haven't even started studding the walls yet, but I'll will certainly document my progress (if anyone cares) and take pictures etc. Thanks for the tip!

4. Stanley Kuan

Stanley Kuan Auditioning

hi mark .. this is my first post in the fourms also im currently learning home automation, ht and audio for solution company i represents carries x-10 =D and other fun gagets.

Im still new at this but from what i hear from my co-workers at work that x-10 is one of the cheapest solutions still getting the results you want with out breakin the bank or holes in the wall. You will defiently be able to control everything u listen no problem and even more. I would suggest you to go with there wireless controller thru because there deskstand controller i think is just hiddious looking. (looks like a bad bed room alarm clock) im not to sure what the drawbacks are on x10 except i do think the wireless controller can only control a certain amount of units. im not @ work atm so i dont have their lituriture infront of me or the x10 rep contact. But if u need more information ill be sure to check back on this thread.

Hope i help.... enjoy