What's new

My first flexy! (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ok, I built a flexy today, woohoo, total build time, 2 hours I still have to tape the edges and stuff, but it looks cool.
I'll try to get pictures later today or tomorrow. It's perfect, cost me $20 it's MUCH more stable than my previous rack.

Seriously, yesterday while I was cleaning up wires and such my CRAP rack, colapsed and even scratched my floor GRRRRRR. I off I went to home depot and built it today.

My old rack was crap, that I built this summer (the one in my 2 channel setup).

Flexy's are great, and my g/f even like the looks better!

I think I'm going to change out the shelves for a light cherry laminate or veneer to match my speakers and other funiture. But for now this will hold up the amps, which is more than the other shelf did.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Nice rack there James :D

Is it still sturdy with legs that long? What size is that ready rod?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
The rod is 3/8" I was going to use 1/2" but damned if anyone carried 1/2" Acorn nuts! Nobody had them and I didn't want to wait, so I went 3/8". It's plenty sturdy. It's only a total of 2 feet tall, it wobbles a bit, but it isn't going to fall and collapes :)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
If you added a bottom shelf, just off the ground, it would be even more stable. Looks good though.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Charles, yes another shelf would make it more stable, but then it would just be an empty shelf for the cats to play on ;)

Chris, yes those are the Wave DT's apparently they changed the name to Wave AV8, probably the same beast, they are $120, I love them, they sound amazing!

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
If not a shelf at the lower end, then how about an "X" or a "U" shape to tie the four legs together.

An "X" shape of MDF or plywood or whatever you made the shelves from. Imagine another shelf, but with 2" wide strip that diagonally connects the legs with the farthest leg opposite of them. You can use a jigsaw or the like to cut it out.

You could use the same approach to cut out a "U" or upside down "U" shape |_| so that the legs are structurally tied together.

You mention cats. I would be worried that they might be playing and smack into one of the legs causing the stand to topple and hurting my tube setup.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Chris, that's a good idea, I'll think about it, but it's struturally sound. IE, I actually TRIED to topple it by wiggling/pushing/bumping. It is not going anywhere. Remember that it's only 2 feet tall total, shelf to floor is about 1.2 feet. It's very short. The cats don't play there, but if they had a shelf to sit on they might :).

Of course I'm going to change the shelves out for a different finish so I might go with something more stable later.

Thanks for the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks