What's new

My first earthquake! (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought that I had blown a tire or something because controlling the car was a bit difficult.
It's interesting that you say that. I was on the road, sitting at a light, just about to get onto 880 in San Jose. My first clue was that people were pulling over and looking at their tires thinking they had flats, but then I noticed the traffic lights swaying violently, and there was a large building with all mirrored glass exterior that was literally undulating with waves, like water. Scary stuff.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I got a nice forewarning about Monday's quake about five seconds before I felt it. The announcer on the Sharks game said, "We're having an earthquake!" and then I felt it. Since I live north of San Jose, I knew the quake was centered to the south (turned out to be Gilroy).
My worst was Loma Prieta in '89. I was sitting watching the World Series pre-game when it hit. I felt the first jolt and stood up and the next thing I knew, I was "living-room surfing".:)
Just a note on the shaking of earthquakes, usually two distinct kinds of shaking can be felt: a sharp up-and-down motion (P-waves) followed by a side-to-side rolling sensation (S-waves). Waves eminate from the epicenter (actually the hypocenter under ground) and P waves travel faster than the S waves. If you feel both kinds of movement distinctly (as I did in '89), you can estimate how far away the center of the quake is. It works much the same way as judging the distance of a thunder storm by the delay between the flash of lightning and the crash of the thunder.
Rob
"Subduction leads to orogeny."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks