What's new

My first DIY TIKI mask (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
A couple of months back my brother gave me this...

A $4 plastic shell Tiki mask for my B-day as a joke (my backyard is all tropical). It's been laying around and it finally dawned on me to try and fill it with concrete to make a soild mask I could set in the yard.

A couple of days ago I bought an 80lb bag of Quickset mortar mix for $6. So far I've made two masks. The first pic below is the mortar mask and the second one is the finished / painted mask I just did today. I will spary on a clear coat to protect it and then start setting them up in the yard.

Now all I need to do is find a few more plastic Tiki masks that are different and make some other kinds, just not sure where to get them. My brother got this one at Party City but it's the only kind they have.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Not selling it, it's for personal use only so there's no difference than copying pages from a book for personal use or copying a song off a CD to my iPod. Enlighten me if I am wrong.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
:laugh:

I'm laughing now but when this guy grows up in about 15 years he'll be nearing 3' in diameter and up to 200 lbs. Yeah, he'll be able to kick my ass.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ah! So that's what one looks like after a marathon viewing of the 10 worst movies of all time.

BTW, nice job on the masks; although, I think the painted one could have had more variation in color like the original model contained.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I thought about that Edwin but decided to be a bit more mellow with the colors. A bit easier on the eyes.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ron, did you do anything to get the concrete to release from the mold without damaging the mold?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yes sir, I coated the inside of the mold with Pam cooking spray. The mold basically fell off, it worked great.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
So, you just spray the inside of the mask, dump in the mix, and then maybe level off the back with a trowel? How do you situate the mask while the concrete hardens?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And then you baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for 11 minutes?:) But seriously, I never would have guessed Pam.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Ron, that's pretty cool, I have had some ideas like that for our yard but they had to dig it up to lay new sewer line and they won't come fix the yard.

Miss you at HTL.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I set the mask in my planter which has a lot of landscape bark which help support it, but, it really didn't need much, it held up just fine on it's own.

No garlic flavor Jay, don't need the animals nibbling on my TIKI!

As for baking Johnny, I went the organic route, I used.....

wait for it.....

wait for it.....

...the sun... :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Party supply stores. They always have a tropical/luau section.

Nice job, btw. I've been kicking around the idea of doing something in concrete.. like a birdbath or garden sculpture. I wonder if I could make a naked statue of myself urinating into a birdbath like a cherub...hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks