What's new

my first DIY sub complete........ (1 Viewer)

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
just a couple more coats of varnish and it will be all done. Its late so I dont have time to go into more detail but here is the picture.
sorry about the crappy digital cam.
subclose.jpg

comments welcome

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hey looks good Joe, very good. Did you get a chance to try it out yet? Let us know how it sounds!

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys. i think it turned out good for my first try.
you can go to this thread to see the specs and an early construction pic. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...750#post648052
It was 1:30am when i wheeled this thing into the house. so i still havnt been able to crank it up. But i did wake up my 10 month old with it last night.:frowning: so i was up until 2:30.
This thing improved my whole system. It just gives everything a cleaner fuller sound. even at low volume this thing was shaking the house pretty good. and the driver was barely working.!!:D I will give a better report when i actually get it dialed in and a chance to turn it up a bit.

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
I want to leave work early soooooooooooo bad:angry: . I am obsessed with this project. all i want to do is go home and see what this thing will do.:D somebody call my boss and tell him i have to leave;)

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Sounds like a Migraine headache is in order. : ) Let us know how it sounds. I'm very curoius since I'm doing about the same thing. Later.

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
whaaaaaa whoooooooooooooooooo :D :D :D time to go home. im going to try and get my dads digital camera and get some better shots of the sub. thats if i can pull my self away.:laugh:

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
here is a couple more pics
sub4.jpg

sub3.jpg

I was able to test out JP3, Pearl Harbor & the matrix tonight at high volume. all i can say is
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

for only a 120watt amp on this thing i am very impressed. this was the first time my 3 year old daughter was afraid while watching JP3.:D although on this movie i can see where more wattage would be a good thing. but all in all for only putting $120(new) into it it sounds awesome. and really the only time i think i could use a better amp would be when demo-ing my setup to others for short periods of time.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Joe, would you be willing to help me out via HTF or e-mail when I start a sub this summer? I want to do an enclosure just like yours but with an Adire Tempest. It will be the ported Adire Alignment of 214L. Mega Bass!! :D I will also be using the 250w plate amp from PE.
I've already made one DIY sub with a 12" DVC and a 15" Passive Radiator, but would like more extension!
Damn this stuff is addicting!

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
Glad you like it.......but
I dont know if im the one you want helping you out:crazy:
this was my first DIY project(speaker) myself. Dustin B. And Patrick S. would be the guys to talk to. they helped me out alot. I will be glad to give you any pointers i can but im just a newby at this.:)
good luck
Joe
P.S. I checked out your web site and it looks like you have a nice setup going there. very impressive
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Just got a PE250 amp and holy cow what a difference. My old amp had a boost on it that wouldnt let my sub get down below like 32hz. now i am getting below 20hz. i watched Titan AE last night and was just blown away with the bass i was missing. even though it sounded pretty good before it is so much better now.
I am hooked on DIY. I'm trying to talk everyone i know into building there own sub.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I always laugh when I hear the bass scene during titan AE's ice crystal chapter.
During a few collisions of glacier crystals I believe the noises get down to 20hz.
What I love to do is play a 23hz test tone in bursts which makes my dogs start to bark. btw, I have an adire alignment tempest w/ PE amp.
Good Job with your Sub, it probably is the first thing people notice when they walk in the room kind of like mine.

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
Yes people do notice it right away.:D then they want to hear what it sounds like right after. ;) then the wife gets pissed:angry: but she is actually getting used to it now. the only thing we ever had in that corner was baby toys. she did like the way i built it like a end table, way better than just a black box like she thought i was building.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks