my first diy speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Travis-J, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Travis-J

Travis-J Agent

I would like help in designing and building a pair of speakers. I was thinking of building these ones

http://www.wadsnet.com/~dtenney/dayton_8MTM.htm

I want these as my surround speakers, any comments regaurding the drivers, XO, or whether smaller would be better for surrounds. I listen to bass heavy music, and will be for HT use as well. I will add a powered sub at some point.

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

It's easy to assume by what you read that it's best to have all of your speakers the same for HT surround. In reality, most sound engineers still use the rear channel for effects only. If you like using 5+ channel stereo for music then you may like the idea of having large surrounds. Some will probably say that the rear channel in some movies carries a lot of bass which is probably true, however, a couple of good subs should be able to handle that. As long as you're not planning on mounting them on the ceiling it comes down to your personal preference. I've got three-ways with 8" woofers hanging on my ceiling for my rears which I'm happy with for now. I'm sure others use MTM's for surrounds in smaller cabinets. Of course the result is less bass but (see comments above). It looks like a good project and if the prices listed are current, a real bargain too.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I would move that front port to the back or side or at least down. Energy exiting it is 180 degrees out of phase with the woofer just above it, and having it so close will cause some cancillation just above the port tuning frequency.

4. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Wow, these do look like a serious deal in the big DIY tower world. I'd be interested to hear if you go through with these, I put them on my list of considerations to build (although I would also go for the rear port). Let us know what you're thinking!

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Good point on the port. I didn't notice that until after reading your post. My Adire 281's have a larger port much lower in the tower. I tend to hesitate on rear ports because they have been known to get in my way when I'd like to place a speaker closer to a wall. Something to consider if you have limited space.

6. Travis-J

Travis-J Agent

The speakers I have right now for fronts are sound dynamics 500ti I think, they use 2 8" subsin a 3-way, thats why I thought these would be a good match, although slightly less wattage rating, surrounds don't use as much though so they should work good I think.

My only real concern is building the XO as I'm decent at woodworking, electronics isn't my best field, I'm sure I could pick it up having done some physics, for the link I've given how difficult would that XO be to build?? And I'm almost definately going to go ahead with this project, just awaiting money to be paid back to me, ah the joys of being a bank.

7. Travis-J

Travis-J Agent

Oh, and thanks for the advice on the port, I wouldn't have even thought to check, my current speakers have two ports in rear bottom.