What's new

My first DIY. Plaster speaker stands!!! (1 Viewer)

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator

Mold was $40, took 2.5 25lb bags of plaster. Very solid, nice and heavy.
I still have to wet sand the top. This pic was taken about 2 hours after it was poured

A

Anthony_Gomez

Looks good..but I have one concern. Being solid plaster, are you worrying about any contraction induced cracking once the center of the column dries out and completely sets?

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure about the cracking. I got mine hollow then filled them with sand. They worked really good for my surround speaker stand.

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. As far as the cracking, well unfortunatly I guess I will have to wait ans see. I never really worked with plaster. I will just keep an eye on it for a while.

Maybe some pillows around it in case it crumbles with my speaker on it.

Chris - Did you buy yours pre made? If so, where and how much?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The other thread has been deleted.

Will you entertain painting the plaster speaker stands if it makes for a better match with the decor of the room?

Sebastian

Second Unit
Nice job, but did you know you could by plaster stands at Michaels for about 30-40 bucks?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
That looks like a greek plant stand with a space ship on top.

Sorry hehe, I like the idea of using plaster...

For one of my studios I carved a replica of the B&W nautilus Prestige speakers out of plaster. I also drew a charcoal picture of them sitting in my room. Nobody in my class has ever seen or heard about them so I got away with ppl thinking I have them.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Sebastian & Michael Ipp,
Don't laugh, but I got mine at WALMART (I said don't laugh) for $12 a piece + a can of black spray paint for $.88, sand from the backyard was free so I got speaker stands for $25 :)

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick - I might try to use the "marble" paint kit and see how that goes

Sebastian - I looked but could not find any. I also went to gardening stores and home depot. I eventually bought a bird bath, tunred it upside down and painted it. Too big for the speaker but now it is my TV stand.

Chris - I wish I could have found that!!! But I'm not complaining, the place where I bought the mold from is quite excited about the new use, she is going to put my picture on the web site.

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure that since you did it your self.
You got the exact height that you wanted.
Looks good from my house;)

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator
I finally found the stands at Michael's that were mentioned. Wanted to see them before I did anymore stands. I have to say I did not like them. They were hollow and had a metallic ring to them if you tapped it. Sure you can fill it but also each one had some sore of crack or chunk missing. I would not feel safe with my speakers on them.
A little update on my project... painted it with Crack paint, pretty easy and pretty cool paint. I had the urge to start crackling everything in the house.

The funny thing is I designed these stands to match my marble nOrh's. Now I think I am selling the nOrhs. Does it ever end? :)

Rick Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your idea. I saw this post last Friday and I finished my new stands last night. They are not plaster but are some type of resin. I added 10 pounds of sand to each and they currently weigh 27.5 pounds each. The wife painted them with the black stone paint then added gold and silver highlights. 3 coats of gloss polyurethane were added last. I took my old metal stands apart and used the bottom plate with spikes and the top plate.

Thanks again!

I tried to place a photo here but I do not have a place to put it on the web to link to. Is there an area in this forum to store photos?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Michael, the stands look cool! Especially with the crackled paint.

Did you seal the plaster with anything to keep moisture out of the plaster?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks