My First DIY Cable!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunge, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Lookin' good, Brian! I really like the look of the TechFlex. How about trying some other color combos, like colored heatshrink to contrast/compliment your TechFlex braid? If you offer these for sale in your area, you could make up some samples with various flex and heatshrink color combinations. You might even come up with some WAF-acceptable cables!! [​IMG]
    BTW, do you notice a broadened soundstage, a tingling "aliveness" from the palpable sense of the musicians' presence in your listening room as your new cables opened up the listening experience to a magical moment, revealing the nuances of the artistic expression? In other words, did you connect them so that the electrons travel in the right direction? With an adjective vocabulary like that, I should be a reviewer.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Thanks Hank!

I have a kid here at work that's interested in my building all his cables for his car audio system! Can you say 6 runs about 12' or so! I brought it to work with me to show him. I can't wait until he sees it! I need to check on printed heat shrink pricing today!

Brian

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

"Kids" and their car audio installations might be a great market for custom cables, and offering some wild color combinations would be VERY appealing to them - they like to "show" everything from logo driver cones to heavy guage wire and gold-plated connector installs.

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

They look great, Brian. I've never really had much interest in making my own cables... but yours look pretty sharp and the idea of customizing my lengths and such have got me thinking...

Is there a site someplace that will walk me through how to do it?

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

7. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Brian,

Hey, looks great!

Did you make these directional cables? By that I mean did you connect the mesh outer cable shield (ground) to the ground of a connector on only one end of the cable?

BruceD

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Bruce,

Nope, no "directionality" here! I don't really know how feasible that is using the crimp on connectors.

Brian

9. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

AWESOME job. I'm even MORE inspired to get a college degree so I can afford toys like my own cables [​IMG]

10. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Nice job. Looks pretty professional. [​IMG]
    Jon

11. Bryan Jones

Bryan Jones Auditioning

Brian:

Good looking cable! Did you even consider Belden cable instead of the Canare? How is the performance? Did you use the Canare crimper?

Thanks

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Bryan,
    I may be switching the the Belden 1694A cable since I've found out it's superior to the Canare cable for video applications. I think for audio applications the performance between the two would be a toss up. Also, the Belden is a few pennies cheaper per foot. Since I'm planning to actually sell these those pennies can add up over time!
    I bought the Canare stripper and crimp die but the crimp handles were $80 or so. So instead, I bought a PE crimp handle that was about $16!
    Brian
    P.S. Look for www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com website in the near future!