What's new

My first anime - 'Ghost in the Shell' (1 Viewer)

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
Upon some of your recommendations, I picked up and watched 'Ghost in the Shell' over the weekend for my entry into anime. I need to watch it again, since I'm sure I didn't pick up everything the first time.

Any recommendations for an anime beginner as to where to proceed from here?

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
How about Princess Mononoke?

I gently suggest you watch it in the original Japanese; it's hard digesting Japanese characters speaking with a Southern drawl or events taking place in the Orient where every single person speaks fluent Ameri-English.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If you're ready to delve into a series, I recommend Star Blazers, the U.S. equivalent to Space Battleship Yamato. There are several DVDs out with multiple episodes per DVD. I'm not sure what the current list of releases includes, however.
If you want an example of good anime turned bad due to American censorship and the addition of pathetic animation, there's always Battle of the Planets. :D

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Actually , if you have a chance , check Spirited Away out in the theatres. On the home front , Cowboy Bebop is a good start

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
My personal favorite is Neon Genesis: Evangelion. It is a series, with 10 parts. There is also an Evangelion film. I don't know if you want strictly films or if series are ok as well. If strictly films, Akira is very good, Metropolis is very good and Armitage: Dual Matrix is very good. Haven't seen Princess Mononoke as of yet, but I hear nothing but great things about it.
Bruce

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I suggest you try to check out Cowboy Bebop if you want to get into a series. It's funny and engaging, so you'll most likely enjoy the whole series, plus its not as dramatic or dark as some anime series can get, so it's a good segway. It's also amazing.

My personal favorite anime series is Neon Genesis Evangelion. There's 26 episodes (like Cowboy Bebop) and 2 movies that were recently released on DVD.

Both of those series have boxsets out, but the Cowboy Bebop one is a lot harder to find.

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
I second the recommendation for Metropolis. But Ghost in the Shell remains one of my favorites, as well as Hotaru no haka (aka Grave of the Fireflies).

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
My personal favorite anime series is Neon Genesis Evangelion. There's 26 episodes (like Cowboy Bebop) and 2 movies that were recently released on DVD.
Just to clear up: There are 26 episodes that are spread across 10 DVD's. I said there was 10 parts and I should have said 10 discs, which hold all 26 episodes.
One other that I don't see listed is Escaflowne.
Bruce

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
GitS is a good place to start; one of my favorites!
I'd go to Princess Mononoke next--another favorite. Another is Kiki's Delivery Service. Unfortunately, Kiki is only out in region one on VHS
Also, another vote for Neon Genesis Evangelion. Although alot of it is pretty impenetrable, the characters are great and the robot battles the best.
I also like Vampire Hunter D, Bloodlust. You might give it a try if your'e at all into horror stuff. For a kick-a$$, martial arts bloodfest (woo-hoo!), Ninja Scroll is very cool. Though some might disagree, Spriggan is a good, mindless, kick-buttocks action flick with state-of-the-art animation.
Akira, while good, I think is over-rated. Visually it's terrific, but IMO, story & character-wise it leaves alot to be desired. Still worth seeing, though.
Oh yeah, how could I forget! Beautiful, heart-breaking film;
and the new DVD out is very nice.

Brian E

Screenwriter
There are 26 episodes that are spread across 10 DVD's
Actually the tv episodes are on 8 discs. Then there are two movie discs.

Some other anime to check out.
Ranma 1/2
Castle of Cagliostro
Perfect Blue
Trigun
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
You're Under Arrest (one of my favorites coming soon)
Key the Metal Idol
Ninja Scroll
Gasaraki
Tenchi Universe
Tenchi OAV Set
Macross
Fushigi Yuugi

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hmm... your best bet is to check out the Anime Discussions thread, but there are - well - lots of posts there. Good line up?

1. Studio Ghibli Titles - Get the following:

a. Grave of the Fireflies, 2 disc CE - Bring a Box or two of tissues. You will need it.

b. Princess Mononoke - An ecological allegory if you will as only Miyazaki can show. Stunning imagery and story...

c. Castle of Cagliostro - Older Miyazaki title of a long running Lupin series. And one of his best...

d. My Neighbor Totoro - recommend you watch this after Grave of the fireflies. Only on VHS.

e. Kiki's Delivery Service - Another delightful Ghibli title. Available in Region 1 again only on VHS.

2. Movies - Well, here are some NON-Ghibli movies to get started...

a. Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea - fantasy/mecha offering that is unique and dark. Good plot and acting in Japanese - check that out. Then try the 8 disc/box set TV series entitled Vision of Escaflowne, which as a very different plot in a similar universe.

b. Patlabor 1, 2 - Mystery and political drama abound in this wonderful movie about a mysterious virus and... well watch it and see. Key thing to note is that the mecha and mecha fighting are not the main part of the story....

c. Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy - Three 2.5 hours of the first season of Mobile suit Gundam remastered in 5.1 Japanese no less. Try this out, and see why Gundam is so popular world wide. Get Char's Counterattack to see the conclusion of the rivalry between Amuro and Char...

d. Jin-roh: Wolf Brigade - a political and social commentary if you will about politics and the move to unseat the Wolf Brigade - a special urban fighting force in an alternate Japan. Good story and drama.

e. Perfect Blue - A thriller done in a surreal style in almost Hitchcockian fashion. A struggling POP star turned actress is being stalked, and her producers/coworkers are mysteriously murdered. Why? Who is it? Watch and see. (WARNING- some very graphic scenes exist, and you may be shocked.)

3. OAVs worth watching:

a. Tenchi Muyo! Ultimate Edition- 13 Episodes of some of the best character designs and characters ever done in a "harem" style anime. Don't forget the Mihoshi Special and Pretty Sammy OAV 1-6 disc if you get this.

b. El-Hazard: The Magnificent World Complete - Another great harem entry here with two rival students, a sister, and a teacher get transported into a new world called El Hazard. Also try El Hazard: Alternative World as well I wish I had had teachers as cool as Fujisawa sensei.

c. Magic User's Club - This is a cute and inspiring series that well, made me laugh and have lots of fun. Cute girls, an older student with an overactive randy imagination and magic - what more can you ask for? Sae, Nanako, Akane, Aburetsumo-sempai, and Takakura-sempai, will have you smile at their antics as they change their world forever with their magic. 6 episodes on three DVDs.

d. Area 88 - A commercial airline pilot is tricked into signing away his life by his "best" friend to a mercenary war at a base called Area 88. Where you earn the money to leave or die trying. Great drama and dogfights that are more based in reality than not. Try this, you won't regret it. 6 episodes. first two on DVD, last four on VHS

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
did you watch ghost in the shell subtitled or dubbed? please watch the subtitled version to get a clearer understanding of events.
it's really a modification of william gibson's classic sci novel, Neuromancer. a different road to the same destination, i guess. it's a very good movie! i am not much of an anime fan but this film has a permanent place in my collection.
it's also cool to see how strongly GitS influenced The Matrix. There are moments where the Matrix plays direct tribute, like when the agent jumps across the building and lands in a crouched pose while chasing trinity during the opening sequence. during the pursuit of the uzi-wielding suspect in GitS, Major Kusanagi springs up the side of a building and lands in the exact same manner. The crouched pose and framing of the shot in the Matrix are identical. there are other moments here and there as well, such as when Neo is being chased through the market toward the end.
Okay, now I'm going to go home and watch this movie again, thanks a lot! :angry:
:D
By the way - does anyone know of any other full-on cyberpunk anime flicks that are worth seeing? i'm not really into anime as a whole, but i think it's the best format for telling stories of that genre.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Also, I think GitS was inspired a little by Blade Runner.

BTW, I must be one of the few who disliked the Mononoke dub. Its weird watching it with voices that are well done but mismatched with their characters. It just didn't fit. I like the Japanese dub better. Cowboy Bebop is one of the few anime shows that has a REALLY good dub.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
My first anime was Akira back in 1990 I think, so I started at the top and worked my way down.:)
After watching that I was hooked, I wanted more, i don't care much for episodic anime, with robots and too much shouting, I saw an episode of Evangelion and wasn't impressed at all.
I love feature length anime with superb animation like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Wings of Honneamise, Princess Mononoke and Metropolis, all fantastic examples of Japanimation.
Other favorites of mine are Ninja Scroll, Castle of Cagliostro, Vampire Hunter D-Bloodlust, Venus Wars and Macross Plus.
I've yet to see Grave of the Fireflies, from what I've read here on the forum its great but very depressing and thats whats putting me off, I hate 'depressing', one day I'll give it a go.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I had to chime in with my 2 cents:

1) Escaflowne (TV Series)
2) Berserk (TV Series)
3) Hellsing (TV Series)
4) Princess Mononoke
5) Rurouni Kenshin OVA Vol. #1
6) Rurouni Kenshin OVA Vol. #2
7) Metropolis
8) Akira
9) X (TV Series)
10) Cowboy Bebop

ENJOY!!

Eric F

Screenwriter
You know, I just picked up all 6 issues of the Akira Darkhorse magna reprint, and I didn't realize how different the original story was from the movie.

As good as the movie was, the magna is so much better. Over 2000 pages of pure action. The translation is top-notch as well. If you liked the movie you're sure to love the books. Pick them up if you get a chance.

Eric T

Second Unit
I didn't care much for Ghost in the Shell. I thought it was a little boring. Too much blah, blah, blah. But I did really like Mononoke, Ninja Scroll, and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. Metropolis is also very cool. Personally, I prefer the medieval-era animes, with samurai and ninja and such, over the sci-fi movies.

BTW, I think the English dubs for Mononoke are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks