What's new

My first and (gulp) last DVD....? (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Many moons ago, I bought my first DVD. If memory serves, it was A BRIDGE TOO FAR.

Today, nearly 20 years later, I may have just bought my last DVD. I think season five of Dr. Kildare is going to do it for me. 7000 discs later there is simply nothing else I want on DVD that I don't already have. I was trying to remember the last DVD I bought before this final set of Kildare. It was NOW AND AGAIN, and that was a few years ago.

Of course there are always surprises, but as of today there are no shows that I am seeking or wanting. Everything else I buy will be movies or double-dip TV sets on Blu-ray.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that this is the last DVD I will ever buy.

How close are you to completing your dream DVD library?

Last edited:

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
My first DVD was the movie Spiderman. Shortly thereafter I procured my first "Entire Series" box set, the Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" series Thunderbirds.

As for the last? Most likely it will be the last DVD before I "Kick the Bucket".

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, I realize I am probably in the minority, but I figure why should I keep buying DVDs if I have everything I want already? I really never thought this day would come...

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Alan, you just got to find it in your heart of hearts to purchase just one more DVD set...The Defenders: Season One! I'm begging ya! :D
Funny you should say that. There are two series I was strongly considering and that was one of them. The other was DEATH VALLEY DAYS based solely on GaryO's posts. But then I thought....(best Pacino voice) "Just when I'm out, they pull me back in!"

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Funny you should say that. There are two series I was strongly considering and that was one of them. The other was DEATH VALLEY DAYS based solely on GaryO's posts. But then I thought....(best Pacino voice) "Just when I'm out, they pull me back in!"

Alan:

LOL! Don't you know by now there's really no such thing as "leaving" the collectors game when it comes to DVD and Blu-ray; blood in, blood out as they say. ;)

By the way, I actually lied when i said I wanted you to buy one more set...I also want you to buy Seasons 2, 3, and 4 when they get released. :D

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Alan:

LOL! Don't you know by now there's really no such thing as "leaving" the collectors game when it comes to DVD and Blu-ray; blood in, blood out as they say. ;)

By the way, I actually lied when i said I wanted you to buy one more set...I also want you to buy Seasons 2, 3, and 4 when they get released. :D
That's EXACTLY why I didn't bite...because I am a completist and those seasons may never see the light of day. And if I recall correctly, didn't DEATH VALLEY DAYS have a lot more than four seasons....? I like that everything I have is COMPLETE. :)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
That's EXACTLY why I didn't bite...because I am a completist and those seasons may never see the light of day. And if I recall correctly, didn't DEATH VALLEY DAYS have a lot more than four seasons....? I like that everything I have is COMPLETE. :)

Can't argue with that, Alan; I'm a completist myself by inclination.

Death Valley Days has 452 episodes over 18 seasons to be exact.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While my Blu-ray buying continues unabated, my DVD buying has dwindled to basically just Mystery Science Theater 3000 at this point.

My first DVD was Halloween (that movie was also my first laserdisc and first or second Blu-ray). I believe there's still 22 unreleased MST3K episodes and some of those movies must be too expensive to license so I'd guess there will be at least another 3 or 4 sets of four episodes a piece. And there's always the chance that something I never expect will arrive or something that's already been released will catch my eye somewhere down the line so I'll never say die on DVD.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
First DVD set I ever bought was one of those old A&E sets of Peter Gunn...... first single DVD I ever bought was the movie Fast Times At Ridgemont High

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
There are still a lot of television shows that I would like to own- lots of black and white series from the nineteen fifties and early sixties . I don't know if many will be released , but I'll buy if they are. Beverly Hillbillies season 1 , Defenders , and Death Valley Days I'll get for sure . There are still movies I'm looking to get on blu-ray - some of which like Cat Ballou , Moby Dick , are in the planning stages . And i'm sure more stuff will come out that I'll be interested in . So , I m in for good !!

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
My first TV on DVD purchase was Futurama Vol. 1 and the first movie I picked up was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I keep saying I have an end goal in sight for buying discs but there always seems to be something I want getting released. I've cut way back but not done yet.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I would break my abstinence for THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES seasons 5 and up. I do have syndicated versions of all the episodes, so I can survive on those.

Also, I mistakenly said earlier that NOW AND AGAIN was my last DVD set. That is not true. BARNABY JONES THE COMPLETE SERIES was my last before KILDARE 5.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My first dvd's were, Jerry Seinfeld, I'm Telling You Again for the Last Time and the Star Trek Volume with Charlie X. I am still picking up odds and ends and just purchased Columbo seasons 1 & 2. Guess I am not quite finished with my dvd purchases.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Part of me wants to buy releases like THE DEFENDERS and DEATH VALLEY DAYS just to support them in hopes that more seasons of those shows would be released. But at some point I have to stop or DVDs will take over my house. I don't have enough years left in my life to watch all the ones I have already.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Live long and prosper, Alan!
May there be no unwatched dvd at the end of the line!
Or unread or unwritten book for that matter...

I'm sure Sean's salesmanship on behalf of Shout and The Defenders will compel you to do the right thing, ha, ha...

The first movie I ever bought on dvd was East of Eden...featuring, of course, one of your Dr. Kildare principles...the great Raymond Massey...I also am looking forward to viewing Kildare season 5 and glad to have it complete...my first box set was Combat! ...that was also the first long run tv series that I completed as released...all 10 volumes...and for me, an absolute essential treasure from my youth.

Last edited:

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
The first dvd I bought was Columbo season 1, and when I bought Barnaby Jones from VEI this December that was definitely the transition to, if not the end, at least a maintenance mode. I have now just about everything I could have ever wanted. I'll probably buy at least one more season of the Rifleman, another season or two of Death Valley Days (if they continue), and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for 77 Sunset Strip and season 2 of Burke's Law. But I am essentially done, and now I kick back and enjoy watching. And I enjoy it immensely. On the nights I have time to watch something, there's nothing like that feeling of going over to the bookshelf, saying "hmmm, what I am in the mood for tonight?", and having too many outstanding shows to choose from.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Many moons ago, I bought my first DVD. If memory serves, it was A BRIDGE TOO FAR.

Today, nearly 20 years later, I may have just bought my last DVD. I think season five of Dr. Kildare is going to do it for me. 7000 discs later there is simply nothing else I want on DVD that I don't already have. I was trying to remember the last DVD I bought before this final set of Kildare. It was NOW AND AGAIN, and that was a few years ago.

Of course there are always surprises, but as of today there are no shows that I am seeking or wanting. Everything else I buy will be movies or double-dip TV sets on Blu-ray.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that this is the last DVD I will ever buy.

How close are you to completing your dream DVD library?
I think if I could get properly released sets of Run For Your Life and Hawaiian Eye, I would be content retiring with what I have on legitimate release and other sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks