My first amp...some questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Reda, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I've got a Denon 3802 (with 7.1 pre-outs) and am entertaining the notion of getting a separate amp.
    First off, should I go with a 5-channel or a 7-channel amp?
    Any suggestions as to what brand to look at based on a "best bang for the buck" criteria? My max budget would be roughly $2500. Presently, I'm thinking about B&K or Parasound for no reason other than the fact that I read that they produce good amps.
    Thanks for the assistance!
    Ron

2. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    First questions that come to my mind are:
    1)what speakers are you using ie sensitivity and ohms?
    2)Do you need more volume for HT?
    3)Do you use a sub?
    In addition to your choices check out Outlaw's 5 and 7 channel amps. nOrh is shipping there Le amps this week I hope. However, you may need a small nuclear reactor with 7 Le amps [​IMG]
    Odyssey is coming out with a 3 channel amp that might do the trick also.
    ------------------
    Rich G.

3. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

I would second the suggestion for the Odyssey, I just ordered one of their 3 ch. 7 week backorder right now though. Look at the Anthem MCA line also.
    You don't have to go 5 or 7 channel right away, either. The denon will perform much better amp-wise if you unload the front 3 or even just 2 from it, although the center does a lot of work and it would be better for it to be matched to your left and right, amp-wise. ALso, gives you a little more buying power quality-wise.
    BB

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Less amps in one chassis often means better performance due to a compromise for power supply. In other words, it would be better to have a 5 and 2 channel amp rather than a 7 channel amp for the simple reason that two separate power supplies are better than one.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Site
    Equipment List
    The Dorm Room Theater

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

RichG,
    1) As far as sensitivity, all of my speakers are 90 or above and all are 8 ohm.
    2) Well, I don't exactly NEED more volume, but I want the clean, high current power that only a dedicated amp can provide. I'm just thinking that when I add my additional speakers in the rear surround position (#6 and #7 in 7.1), I doubt that the 3802 will be able to push 110 watts at a good volume level for too long.
    3) I've got a JBL PB12 250 watt sub.
    How will one of those Outlaws match the "warm" Denon sound?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Brandon B,
    How much did that Odyssey run you (if you don't mind me asking)? Will it's sound match that of the Denon (warm)?
    Thanks for the advice, Fellas! Please keep it coming...

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Chuck C,
    Good call...that makes sense to me.
    How about a 3-channel for the front three and a four-channel for all of the surrounds (given that they're "smaller" speakers as far as power handling)? Do most amps come in many different channel arrays (3-channel, 4-channel, etc.)?

7. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

Ron
    Since you have easy to drive speakers you can go with about any amps listed. I have never heard the Odyssey but owners love them. They are an internet co. so check on line for the price etc. www.harmonicdiscord.com has a forum just for Odyssey. You may find additional info. there. I believe they have a trial period so if you don't like it you can send it back.
    A three and a four(five) channel amp set up would be great IMHO. Maybe a two and a five since not many make a 4 channel amp. Most mfgs. make 2 and 5 channel amps.
    I recommend that you check your AC available. I'm talking dedicated lines for the amps. You will be drawing a lot of ampheres with those amps hooked up.
    Good luck
    ------------------
    Rich G.

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

How about Denon amps? It seems that a few people are using the Denon POA 5200 to power the fronts with the 4800 receiver and are experiencing good results.
    I've also heard good things about Acurus amps, but are they geared more towards music than HT? I've seen a lot of these amps out on Ebay (I guess) due to the fact that they were bought out by Klipsch and they plan to change the line.

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Any thoughts on the Denon or Acurus amps?

10. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

Well, ubid is a dumping ground for Acurus amps because they (Mondial) have been acquired by Klipsch who are 'retiring' the Acurus brand name. I read as much on them as I could and they reportedly have a pretty good reputation, mostly neutral sound reproduction with some people saying that they are slightly "forward" in the highs. (Not sure what "forward" means exactly). So, I picked up 3 A200x3 amps for about $630 shipped, each. There were plenty of reports of people who paid about twice that less than 4 months ago.

11. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Jah-Wren Ryel,
    Yeah, I noticed the same thing...those amps are selling like hotcakes. I was thinking that I could take full advantage of the low price if it was a good amp, but other than a few reviews on Audio Review, I really haven't heard much about 'em.
    Thanks for the feedback...keep it coming!
    Ron