My First 5.1 Setup :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JorelB, Nov 23, 2002.

1. JorelB

JorelB Extra

Hey yall!
    I think it's finally time for me to get some surround sound [​IMG] So looking around some shops I found some stuff that interested me so I did some research. So whaddya think bout this setup for a first system:
    Receiver: Panasonic SAHE70 $279
    Front and Rears: JBL N24II $440
    Center: JBL N-CenterII $245
    Subwoofer: Sony SAWM40 $250
    So the total would be around $1200, and thats CDN so like $750 American I guess. Pretty good I think but I thought I better ask the experts first [​IMG] So yall think I can do better or is this fine?
    Thanx, C Ya

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Jorel,

Looks like a good system. Have you priced the Panasonic SA-HE100 in Cananda? In the US, it sells for about $100 more than the '70.' The SA-HE100 has earned high marks on system tests in Sound and Vision magazine. If you can get the SA-HE100 for $130 more (Canadian $$) - I'd go for it. If you don't, you'll always be thinking about what your sytem would be like if you had sprung for the better receiver from the start.

3. JorelB

JorelB Extra

SAHE100 here is almost double the price round here, at $500 CDN [​IMG] ALthouh thtere is another receiver, Sony STRDE585, that I could get instead of the Panasonice I haven't heard good thing bout the low end Sonys.

4. JorelB

JorelB Extra

Argh, so many errors, too early to be typing [​IMG] I forgot to add one more thing. I just really wanna know if this receiver will be powerful enough to use these speakers. Hmmm, that doesnt sound right, can't quite figure out the words to use. I guess what I'm tryin to say is, are the speaakers more powerful than the receiver or vice-versa or is it a good match?

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The speakers will match up fine with the receiver. Another receiver you might want to look at is the Pioneer D411. They're both entry level receivers, but i think the Pioneer has a bit better build quality, and possible a few more features.

Also, you can probably save some money buy purchasing the JBL NSP1 package, which consists of 4 JBL N24s and a N-Center. These are available online for as low as $250 shipped (US). Regardless, i think you've picked out some great entry level speakers. I'm currently using a NSP1 package for center/surround duty in a 7.1 setup w/ N28s as the mains. The Northridge series really offers alot of bang for your buck.

Hope this helps.