My finished sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by HowardCanning, Sep 28, 2003.

1. HowardCanning

HowardCanning Auditioning

Just thought I'd share with you lot some images of my finished DIY subwoofer and my overall system.

I bought the basic hexagonal box and driver from eBay and spent a couple of weekends getting rid of the imperfections in the woodwork, sealing every last gap in the wood, and painting it.
    The driver is a 12" car driver and is in excellent overall condition. This whole thing cost me about £30.

About a week later I decided to add a port, so went and bought some drainpipe, calculated the port length and drilled the hole. I could immediately notice much less distortion, far deeper bass and less excursion to reach deeper levels.

I'm extremely happy with this. Instead of spending loads of hard earned money on a manufactured sub, I spent around £30 and have one that sounds very close! It integrates with the rest of my system superbly and generally sounds fantastic. Those terribly overblown light-sabre sound effects in SW Episode 2 give it a good work out! [​IMG]

So there you have it. Questions or comments? Don't hesitate to ask/mention.

If you want to see pics you'll have to PM/Email me as I can't post them until I reach 15 posts [​IMG]

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

What driver? What are the details of the enclosure?

3. HowardCanning

HowardCanning Auditioning

It's an SPLX car driver.
    Sounds really good for what it is.
    The enclosure is a really basic hexagonal shape. No stuffing or anything [​IMG]

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I'm glad the port experiment worked out for you. I know you had very little information to work with. Congrats.