My finished AV-12 PR subs

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JasonWUC, Jan 4, 2004.

1. JasonWUC

JasonWUC Agent

Hi All,
    I finished these about two months ago and have been meaning to send pictures out but my wife and I have new jobs out of our home states and are buying a house. Times are a little busy. [​IMG]

Thanks for all the information that has been passed around this forum in the past couple of years. The information I've gathered here is invaluable. [​IMG]

http://community.webshots.com/album/108483989VNWKyY

2. Kevin Hamilton

Hey,
    Looks great imo. Really liked the veneer but from what I saw online I don't like the prices, all I saw were 4' x 8' sheets for like $150 :x Too rich for my tastes.

- Kevin

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Dude

You and I are building the same sub, I think! The only apparent difference is that mine is going to be double-layered 3/4" MDF, and probably unveneered if it's that expensive. How does it sound? Tight or loose? Loud?

4. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Jason,

Beautiful job! Congrats.

I'm always interested to know why people choose the designs they do. What led you to pick the AV-12 PR? And why did you choose to double up?

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Those look awesome! Very nice work!

Guys, veneer isn't that expensive unless you get some exotic stuff. Most oak, maple, and cherry veneers are about $30-$40 a sheet.

6. JasonWUC

JasonWUC Agent

Thanks All.

The Kewazinga veneer is a bit expensive. Some of the more common veneers are definitely cheaper but, I didn't want a veneer that you could but at your local Home Depot. I wanted something with a very pronounced grain to it and would work well with cherry furniture. Plus, the WAF of the Kewazinga veneer is very high.

I chose the PR AV-12s because I didn't want another 15" sub but, I wanted the sub to be able to pound ~20Hz. I know I could of gone with a Shiva, I just didn't. I doubled up because I knew sometime in the future I would want another sub and it is definitely easier to build two at once. Plus I was moving away from my hometown and would therefore no longer have access to my father's extensive woodshop.

My boxes are 3/4" MDF doubled up. It's just a little hard to see in those pictures. They are definitely loud. I haven't had the chance to crack the volume yet since I'm in an apartment with paper-thin walls. Believe me, I want to sit down and get the levels.

JWUC

7. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

Did you use any internal bracing or does a double layer of MDF suffice for an enclosure of that size?

Thanks.

8. JasonWUC

JasonWUC Agent

Honestly?
    I should have used internal bracing. I get some vibration on the top of the box. Not audible, but present. Sometime in the future I'll think I'll take that plate amp off and see if I can put some braces in there. Should have braced it in the first place. [​IMG]

9. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Man, that's nice. Hope you get a chance to crank them up soon. [​IMG]

10. JasonWUC

JasonWUC Agent

New House in 3 months. Two dedicated power circuits for the HT gear. You bet I'm going to crank these up. Most likely when the Wife is shopping. [​IMG]

11. Bryan.T

Bryan.T Agent

Looks good. I have been debating on getting some PR for my AV-12. But, I already have to turn my sub down.

Bryan

12. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Very nice subs. I really like the grain on that veneer. Outstanding job !!

13. JasonWUC

JasonWUC Agent

Thanks All.