What's new

My finished AV-12 PR subs (1 Viewer)

JasonWUC

Agent
Hi All,
I finished these about two months ago and have been meaning to send pictures out but my wife and I have new jobs out of our home states and are buying a house. Times are a little busy. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the information that has been passed around this forum in the past couple of years. The information I've gathered here is invaluable. :)

http://community.webshots.com/album/108483989VNWKyY

Hey,
Looks great imo. Really liked the veneer but from what I saw online I don't like the prices, all I saw were 4' x 8' sheets for like $150 :x Too rich for my tastes.

- Kevin

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Dude

You and I are building the same sub, I think! The only apparent difference is that mine is going to be double-layered 3/4" MDF, and probably unveneered if it's that expensive. How does it sound? Tight or loose? Loud?

Bob K

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

Beautiful job! Congrats.

I'm always interested to know why people choose the designs they do. What led you to pick the AV-12 PR? And why did you choose to double up?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Those look awesome! Very nice work!

Guys, veneer isn't that expensive unless you get some exotic stuff. Most oak, maple, and cherry veneers are about $30-$40 a sheet.

JasonWUC

Agent
Thanks All.

The Kewazinga veneer is a bit expensive. Some of the more common veneers are definitely cheaper but, I didn't want a veneer that you could but at your local Home Depot. I wanted something with a very pronounced grain to it and would work well with cherry furniture. Plus, the WAF of the Kewazinga veneer is very high.

I chose the PR AV-12s because I didn't want another 15" sub but, I wanted the sub to be able to pound ~20Hz. I know I could of gone with a Shiva, I just didn't. I doubled up because I knew sometime in the future I would want another sub and it is definitely easier to build two at once. Plus I was moving away from my hometown and would therefore no longer have access to my father's extensive woodshop.

My boxes are 3/4" MDF doubled up. It's just a little hard to see in those pictures. They are definitely loud. I haven't had the chance to crack the volume yet since I'm in an apartment with paper-thin walls. Believe me, I want to sit down and get the levels.

JWUC

LanceEAR

Agent

Did you use any internal bracing or does a double layer of MDF suffice for an enclosure of that size?

Thanks.

JasonWUC

Agent
Honestly?
I should have used internal bracing. I get some vibration on the top of the box. Not audible, but present. Sometime in the future I'll think I'll take that plate amp off and see if I can put some braces in there. Should have braced it in the first place. :angry:

JasonWUC

Agent
New House in 3 months. Two dedicated power circuits for the HT gear. You bet I'm going to crank these up. Most likely when the Wife is shopping. :laugh:

Bryan.T

Agent
Looks good. I have been debating on getting some PR for my AV-12. But, I already have to turn my sub down.

Bryan

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Very cool! Nice work. I'm also running an AV12 with dual Stryke/Lambda 15" PR. Could you share the specifics on yours (Fb, Vb, PR Mms)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks