What's new

My final bass setup (with pic) (1 Viewer)

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Both built for me by fourm member Al Wooley, i am finally in bass nirvana. I have dual 24" cubes.. One is a Tumult with dual Stryke 18" PR's tuned to 20hz, my personal favorite. the other is an AV-15 box with dual 4" flared ports, tuned to 20hz. I just got my AV-15 box tonight and it is very impressive, still like the Tumult/pr box better though. They are stacked on top of each other in the front of my HT room, each fed 800w off a brand new Crest Audio pro amp. Thanks again, Al, incredible work.. To say that LOTR in DTS Logic 7 sounds potent is quite an understatement.

Prolly spent about $3G Canadian, more than my brother spent on his whole system :)

here is a quick pic, its low res to save some time.

Craig

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Looks great, I'm sure it shakes the HT pretty good. I know you said you prefer the Tumult over the AV-15, but how so?

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
thanks Jim and i hope the BPD 1803 works out for you as well as your AV15 worked for me..

Frank, I haven't really had time to subjectively compare the two, i plan on taking some measurements soon.

part of the whole thing I like about the Tumult box is the 3" of excursion and the PR's. With only 800w, i know I never have to worry about bottoming or over stressing it.

You know when a real heavy bass scene is coming and you sometimes cringe hoping your sub doesn't start flapping? while now i can relax, enjoy the movie and finally put the remote down knowing im fine. When I put in LOTR, U-571 or The Haunting DTS and play my system at -10db, while the bass is extreme, the Tumult is only moving like 1/3 what it can, not even breaking a sweat. the AV-15 on the other hand is getting a lot closer to its max, but still sounds effortless and clean.

Anyways, i will throw some numbers up soon to compare since they are fed the exact wattage and are in the exact same place, it should make for an easy numbers comparison.

Craig

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Frank,

each one is around 5 cubic feet. Can't wait to 'experience' the Daredevil Dvd tonight, ive heard the DTS track has some very loud, low bass. ;)

Craig

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Not to rain on your parade. I'm sure they're solid subs, just like my Tumult box with PRs, but won't there be some phase issues between the two because they're not identical?

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
no worries, Seth.. im 100% satisfied with the output and sound of the system. I would like to know the answer to the question though, if I could do something to improve it further, that would be cool.

Craig

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I have different subs in the same cornrer,and they almost plot exactly alike,when run by themselves.The combined output is simply louder abaout 3-4db.But it worth to check it out since different rooms/subs can introduce such anomolies.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Lewis,

that is what i have found too. i find that the subs couple together and sound like one enclosure as opposed to two. will try to post some numbers in the coming weeks..

Craig

Richard_M

Second Unit
Hi Craig,

Very nice setup.

One question, are these setup on the right hand side of your room? Do you get affected by fatigue with them on the right than on the left?

My experience, but then again it is probably me, is I get fatigue with large bass coming from the right than from the left/ or centre. This is with the subs levelled up and also eq'd. BTW the subs cannot be localised on either the left or right it must be just the pressure.

Very Jealous

Richard

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
thanks Richard.. they are both in the front right of my room.. i tell you, when the lights are down and the volume is up, I feel enveloped in bass and if i didn't know where they were, i couldn't tell they were in the right corner.

Craig

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Craig. Nice setup. However, I do have a few questions related to the photo? First off, what is the size of your room? The reason I ask this is because I notice that your right monitor speaker is rather close to the wall. Is it the way the photo was taken that makes it look like you don't have much room to bring the speaker more into the room? Do you listen to music in this particular system?

If the photo isn't lying then to me that suggests that you have a small room after all and if you do have a small room, is it possible that your two earth pounding subs may be overkill?

Once again very impressive beasts!!

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Martice,

my room size is quite big, it's 12ft across x 25ft long x 8ft high, and open at the back and sides to other rooms.

I do listen to music on the system as well, it images pretty good (as good as I can get). the placement of the speakers are a little too far out for my liking but I have an 8ft front projection screen which leaves me no choice but to put the speakers there.. here is a small pic to show you what i mean.

Craig

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
It looks like you have some room to move the side speakers in a bit. I have the same issue (92" wide screen) in a 13.5' wide room. I pulled the front speakers in to the very edge of the screen and used Auralex StudioWedge foam on the side walls to kill the first reflection. Serious listening is usually done with the screen up (motorized Draper Premier). The front wall (behind the screen and behind the speakers) is treated as well. Listening position is about 16.5' back in the 22' long room. Imaging is absolutely superb.

Back to topic... those subs are awesome. But I gotta ask... A PR'd Tumult wasn't enough?? :eek:

You're nudging me closer to a bass upgrade I've been thinking about for a while: dual sealed, LT'd Tumults with a Crown K2. Anyone want to buy a few JBL 2235H 15" drivers? ;)

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Dave,

thanks for the comments. i think the problem is if i move the speakers in more, the sub will be firing right at the back port of my speakers.

as for the Tumult being enough, it would be(with my amp bridged to 2200w). but I like lots of bass, the low stuff that goes right through ya. i found with it being a large room with concrete floors, i needed a lot of bass to pressurize the room to my liking. ;)

Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks