What's new

My film eRATicate premieres on Ifilm. (1 Viewer)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2475929

Need a good short film on Halloween? Please check out my tribute to killer rats everywhere.

I'd really love it if you left a review at Ifilm as well. If you like it enough, please forward the link to your friends and family. We're really trying to get as large as exposure for our little film.

I hope you enjoy it! For more info about the film, check the link below. Thanks!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I just watched it during lunch and really enjoyed it.Was everyone involved a friend?

I passed it along to someone I know whos a bit twisted and should like it.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Any Ifilm experts out there? I can't figure out how to get people to leave reviews for my film. Seems like the last time I used it there was simply a link for it on the film's page, but I don't see that anymore. Is there still a way?

Nick C.

Second Unit
funny stuff, does adding a review require registration log-in or something? I couldn't click on the review or pics links

That shot where the boyfriend pokes his finger inside the ratcage with his mouth open and teeth showing was really neat, I was almost expecting the rat to bite his finger to juxtapose against the imagery of his exposed teeth :)

Also pretty cool transition with that circle closing onto the rat at the end of that shot..combination of the subject matter and transition totally reminded me of 'Babe', which I recall used several of those quite effectively

One final tidbit, how was that little scene with the rat moving under the bed sheets done, was it some time-lapse editing or a really fast rat/prop? very funny and effective at the same time

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Very nice and well-scored work, I enjoyed it.

The help section of iFilm says that registration is offline for maintenance so I'm guessing the reviews are tied to that.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Since the reviews on Ifilm don't seem to be working, anybody else got a review for me? I love to hear as much feedback as possible, even negative stuff. It helps make my next film that much better.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Really well done there Ross. Tell your friend that the score was outstanding. I think going with the B&W, one reeler style helps hide any production equipment limits you might have had.

I assume this was done on video. Was it or is it Super8 or something?

The direction is also actually very strong. Good mixing of shots without being showy, good job on cutting along to the next bit of action rather than overkilling anything. You have things moving along nice and briskly, just as it should be.

You guys also got some very nice lighting results. It made a lot of the compositions work quite well.

Perhaps avoiding speaking/dialog writing was a big part of hiding the amateur level you guys were working on, but it really plays well and much better than just some cheap "no really, I can direct" type of film. Especially considering the premise and storyline.

I think many small time filmmakers would agree that sound is the biggest factor between a film feeling professional or amateurish.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Sound was something I wanted to avoid on my first film, so it became a logistical and a stylistic choice. We shot on super-8 to give it more of an old time feel. I got really lucky with the composer, who happens to be a good friend of mine, and a musical genius.

Thanks for the great review Seth. Please keep them coming guys!

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Ross, I really enjoyed it as well, especially the score. The tail sealing the tape is classic!

My only complaint (and the video compression may play a part in this) is the scene where the rats first enter the bedroom after they've had enough, right before you see the rope being dragged across the floor. There's a zoom into the doorway, followed by a few seconds of darkness, and what appears to be a cut to the rat coming through the doorway. It just strikes me as a rather rough transition, though I can certainly understand if you didn't want to attempt a reshoot. The rat might not be so accommodating.

All in all, a fine job. Great work! See you on the fantasy football field. :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Great job. My first thought was that the rats were too cute to be scary, but then you used that to your advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks