What's new

My "Fifth Element Superbit" review (a bunch of thumbs up, IMHO) (1 Viewer)

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I just viewed about 1/3 of 5E SuperBit and although I don't have the screen shots to prove it, I do think that the picture is at least moderately improved over the original DVD. It's nothing I can point to specifically, just an overall better, more 3D picture. This is on my PT-47/RP91 setup. I do not regret this upgrade one bit, although I don't think the difference was as dramatic as the Desperado superbit DVD, no doubt due in part to the new hi-def master they used for Desperado. That one is almost night-and-day better than the original DVD.
I also wouldn't use "weak" to describe the DTS track on 5E. I'm not a DTS fanatic, but it was at least as good as the DD track on there.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Bjorn, although you opened my eyes to edge enhancements, you have my respect and gratitude. I always read any topic or posts by you. You have a knack for explaining things in simple, clear and concise manner.
------------------

Chad C

Auditioning
Thanks Bjoern! I picked up both 5E and Desperado after reading your review!
[Edited last by Chad C on October 13, 2001 at 01:10 AM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
This thread is really interesting, good work Bjoern. I have to ask, does anyone with the discs feel that it'd be even worth my upgrading to superbits on a humble 32" widescreen display? I'm thinking to just leave em until I go the projection/HTPC route sometime next year.
Dan (UK)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Dan, yes. However, I would get them in this order:
1) Desperado. Vastly improved transfer. Incredible DTS track.
2) AFO. Noticeable improved transfer. Incredible DTS track.
3) FE. Noticeable improved transfer. Very good DTS track. However, the original is also quite good.
4) CTHD. Very good transfer. Very good DTS track. Again, however, the original is decent, and you lose a lot of extras.
I consider Desperado and AFO "must" upgrades. FE and CTHD can wait. However, they _are_ awesome.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
I have now the missing Superbit titles in my hand and comparison shots will be up soon.
Crouching Tiger (A/B against original R1)
Desperado (A/B against S.E.)
Air Force One (already sold the original, comparison based on memory)
Jhonny M. (you don't honestly believe i bought that
drool.gif

I also finally got Phantom Manace today. Prepare for some comments on that one, too. It won't be pretty.
Soundtrack A/B of SB's and TPM with graphs will probably also happen this week.
I rearranged my homepage. There is now a main page that you can access in my signature. I added a DVD review page, where the first review posted is the 5th Element review in this thread. The others will also be posted there.
Regards
Bjoern
btw. Please let me know if you have problems/glitches/errors on my homepage. Thanks!
------------------
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
Bjoern's Place (my HT in action, DVD reviews, SPL measurements...) | 'Edge Enhancement' Guide

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Waiting on pins and needles. Post soon so I won't waste my boss' time checking the site over and over for your review!
Can't WAIT to see your Phantom Menace review. I think that *you* should be the guy to interview the crew over at Fox/Lucas Film and get us real answers to the problems you find (what's up with edge enhancement on a title like that--no excuse).
-dave

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Kawng,
Unfortunately I'm not a big Desperado fan and am happy enough to stick with the double feature release they did a couple of years back. I'll look into checking out the others before the year's end in that case.
Thanks,
Dan (UK)

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
I picked up The Fifth Element a few days ago, and noticed the greatest difference in the Superbit version was the colors. Noticeably richer than the standard version. Look at the scene where they bring in the 'remains' of the 5th element. The bed of rocks is almost 3D on the Superbit version. Quite amazing!
Marc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronald nolan56