My fellow Bryston owners... :-)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin C Brown, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Always been out of my price range. But as I've upgraded, my price range has increased too, until now where I have a brand new (for me) used 4b-st sitting on my dining room floor. A beautiful beast of an amp. This 2 channel guy weighs more than the 5 ch amp I currently have in my system. The key word being, "currently". [​IMG]

OK, stupid question: I specifically got a 17", black, no handle model.

But Murphy being who he is, I have mostly decided on a 5 ch amp to go with it that actually does have handles. So if I wanted to switch gears and have handles on a 17" black 4b-st:

1) Is it possible to somehow modify the one I have? I do notice that the faceplate it has is simply bolted on the front with 4 screws, top and bottom, left and right. Possible to order a (new) faceplate from Bryston? (I know I can ask them, but hey, just got it, and it's Fri night.)

2) Or just look for one like that and sell this one. Kind of already have a hankerin' for this one though. :b

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I believe you can contact Bryston directly and order a different faceplate.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Congrats on the new(to you)amp. I remember going into an A/V shop when I was considering an amp to add to my existing receiver about 4 years ago and asked them to show me the best amp they had. They showed me a Bryston and I was amazed just by looks of it. I was even more amazed when they told me the warranty it had on it. It was out of my price range at the time, but I said to myself that someday I would have a good quality piece like that.

I eventually got a Sunfire Cinema Grand(substantial savings on a dealer accomodation), but if it wasn't for the special deal I got on the Sunfire, I would have chose Bryston. They are just tanks.

Going the upgrade route over times pays off. I remember starting my DVD HT speaker system with some lowly B&W's and have since upgraded to 9 NTs(just below Nautilus series). Initially, I would have never imagined owning the better gear and I still have a ways to go.

Eventually, I will end up with a Meridian system.

DJ

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yeah, it's funny, because I really like the Acurus amps I have now. And even after purchasing the Bryston but before it got here, I was thinking, "Well, still not a forgone conclusion that I will like the Bryston more than the Acurus." "Might just test out the 4b-st and then sell it again." I can read all the reviews I can before the amp actually gets here, but there's no replacement for looking at something, hefting it, and just plain seeing the workmanship and quality therein. Mark- Cool. Will have to try that, but now I'm waffling on the 5 ch amp I will mate with it!

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Kevin, contact Bryston, I think it is around $200 to get a new front with handles. I know for they have them for the SST series readily available and their customer service is very good. I use a 14BSST for the fronts and a 6BSST for the center and surrounds. I toyed with getting one for the 14BSST but then decided against it. The great thing about the amps besides customer service is the sound quality and the great warranty. No one gives a 20 yr. warranty, parts and labor, from the date of manufacture regardless of change in ownership for any product, not just audio.

6. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

Kevin,

I'll solve this dilema for ya, just let me have the 4bst you have now and that will free you up to get another [​IMG]

Seriously though, Im intersted to know your opinion on the sonic differences of the two.