"My Fellow Americans" LD is AC3, but PCM track is mono!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Skeen, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Due to my weird viewing patterns that I won't get into here, I watched the "My Fellow Americans" laserdisc last night with the PCM digital track; I'd watched it previously in AC-3. The old "LaserVision" opening (which Warner used for a VERY long time!) is in stereo, as well as the Warner Home Video opening, but the entire movie is in mono on the PCM tracks!
    Did anyone else ever notice this, or was it only on a few copies? The only major screw-up with LD audio I ever heard of was on "Stargate", where the PCM track was out of phase (or something like that).

2. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

Did you keep the receipt? You should head back to the store and see if they have a replacement copy for you.
    I was just going to Tower Records this weekend to exchange my Wham "Make it Big" LP that has phase error on side B. I'll ask about their Laserdisc return policy while I'm there.
    [​IMG]

3. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

Oh, and another Laserdisc audio screw up was the original ET CAV boxset. It had the stereo channels swapped. Universal's official workaround? "Just switch the audio cables on the back of your player".[​IMG]

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'd love this movie on DVD. If they ever release a widescreen version...MINE!

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    BTW, according to IMDB, there was a corrected LD of My Fellow Americans was released in Nov. 97.
    DJ

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

No big deal, I'm just surprised I didn't hear about this before, especially since they changed the catalog number on this when they fixed it (I did know about the ET problem- the corrected discs had the newer MCA/Universal Home Video intro at the beginning.)
    Yes, I bought the LD because the DVD was formatted to fit your screen.